How does Brexit affect your Car Insurance

The outcome on Brexit is still unknown, however we wanted to let you know that we have a close eye on developments. As a Sainsbury’s Bank Car Insurance customer, you can be assured we have a process in place to keep you on the move regardless of a deal or ‘no deal’ scenario.

Although the vast majority of car insurance customers will not be affected by a 'no deal' Brexit, those travelling to Europe or a country that is part of the EEA (European Economic Area) with their car will need a Green Card.

What happens next?


If there is a deal, or you are traveling before exit day then you won’t need to do anything for now.

No Deal

If there is a 'no deal' scenario, Sainsbury’s Bank will organise a Green Card for you at no extra cost. Just give us a call on 0345 266 1670. We recommend that you give us a call at least 21 days before you travel to make sure you have everything you need before you go. Remember, without a Green Card, you may not be permitted to enter Europe, or you could face a fine if stopped by the police.

You may also be required to purchase an International Driving Permit (IDP). You can get these at your local post office, and further information can be found on:

If you have comprehensive cover with us then we will provide the same great cover that you enjoy in the UK while you are abroad for up to 90 days. If you are a permanent resident in Northern Ireland and drive to the Republic of Ireland, we will extend that to 365 days (366 in a leap year).

A Green Card simply acts as evidence that you have the minimum legal cover required, for the country you are visiting, whilst driving outside the UK. It’s similar to your certificate of insurance, except it’s green and you will need a printed copy with you whilst traveling.

For more information on your Sainsburys Bank Car Insurance policy in the event of a ‘no-deal’ please refer to our handy FAQs guide below:

Brexit - No Deal FAQs

More guides