Why we need your information and where we obtain it
We take your privacy very seriously. The Data Protection Act puts obligations on users of personal information and lays down principles for its use. One principle states that information has to be processed fairly and lawfully. This means that you are entitled to know how we intend to use any information you provide before you decide to register with us, at which point we will begin gathering your data.
Sainsbury's Bank plc is the data controller
How we use your information
We will use all information we have about you in the course of your relationship with us either now or in the future. This includes any information we get from third parties, information supplied by you when you apply to join our Intermediary Panel on our website and at any time in relation to being a member of our Panel. This includes but is not limited to: your name, business address, e-mail addresses and any e-mails, letters and telephone conversations as a result of your being on, or applying to be on, our Intermediary Panel.
We will also verify the information you provide with your Principal Firm.
We may also use your information to:
- Maintain our Intermediary Panel
- Help us to work out our financial and credit risks
- Recover debt
- Prevent and detect crime
- Keep you up to date with important changes
- Arrange and maintain your access to our online systems
- Undertake statistical and trend analysis to help us improve and develop our services
- Complete our legal and regulatory requirements.
We will not hold your data for longer than is necessary for these purposes
Who we share your information with
We will only share your information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- You have given us your permission to do so
- We have to, or are allowed to do so, by law or regulation
- Where we share information with credit reference agencies or fraud prevention agencies (see following sections)
- Where we share information with others that help us provide our service to you and protect our Intermediary Panel, or
- We are asked to do so by your Principal Firm, under whose Regulatory Permissions you act.
Sending Information to other countries
We may transfer your information to other countries, where we reasonably believe the laws of the relevant countries provide protection and we have reasonable and relevant reason for doing so. Your information may also be accessed by law enforcement agencies and other authorities to prevent and detect crime, or to meet other legal obligations.
Credit Reference Agencies
We may occasionally make searches at Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs). Through these searches CRAs collect and maintain information about individuals and businesses credit behaviour. This includes Electronic Register, fraud prevention, and credit information. This includes public information such as County Court Judgements, decrees, defaults and bankruptcies. Where we conduct such a search this will be for the purposes of maintaining your panel registration. This search will not be visible to other lenders and will not impact on your credit rating. We may do this to:
- Detect and prevent crime, fraud and money laundering
- Trace your whereabouts, or
- Check your credit history, where relevant to our relationship with you.
Fraud Prevention Agencies
In order to prevent or detect fraud, information about you and your customer, given by you in any application submitted to us, will be shared with fraud prevention agencies. This information may be accessed and used by law enforcement agencies. We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when:
- Checking applications for credit and other facilities, and recovering debt
- Checking insurance applications and claims
- Checking details of employees.
We and other organisations may access and use, from other countries, the information held by fraud prevention agencies.
Accessing the information we hold about you
If you would like a copy of the information we hold about you, or if you would like contact details of the credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies, you should write to Sainsbury's Bank Mortgages, PO Box 12, Gateway House, Gargrave, Skipton, BD23 2HL.
We may pass information about you and applications submitted by you to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), to assist in declared income accuracy. HMRC may also use any information we pass to it as part of its own risk profiling activities, and to check for any discrepancies.