How you can get involved...
Here are some ideas on how you can 'do something funny for money' on Red Nose Day.
The money you raise on Red Nose Day, is spent by Comic Relief to help people living incredibly tough lives across Africa and here in the UK.
Here are a few ideas of how you can get involved:
● Host a bake-off at your work or among friends and family. Encourage people to bake something funny for money, or to simply make the most delicious cake they can. Collect donations for each treat, get everyone to cast their votes and award the winner a prize.
● How about sponsoring someone to ditch little luxuries, such as their smartphone or TV, for a week? Or, ask someone to sponsor you! There was a time when we all coped without them. Wind back the clock and learn to live without them for a week.
● Organise a blind food tasting session. Choose slightly obscure - but nothing too spicy or potentially allergenic - foods to taste. Charge people a couple pounds to participate, and award the person who correctly guesses the most tastes with a prize!
● Hold a karaoke night, daring people to sing impossibly hard songs. Sure, they can read the lyrics - but will they be able to hit that high F? You can charge your friends to enter or ask for donations at the door. You could make things even more interesting by playing the music out of sync with the lyrics.
● Arrange an old school sports day for adults with egg-and-spoon and sack races. Everyone contributes a donation to enter. How about upping the ante by setting penalties for those who make mistakes - for example if you drop an egg, you can only stand on one leg for the rest of the race.
● Organise a clothes swap (also known as 'swishing'), selling unwanted items and giving the proceeds to Comic Relief. We all have items we don't use anymore, but others would love. A great way to ensure they find a good home is to sell them on to your friends.
● Chatter boxes can challenge themselves to keep quiet by going 'silent for a day' one weekend. Ask friends and family members to sponsor your efforts. How about raising the stakes? Every time you say a word, you have to put money in the box.
Those are just a few ideas for how you can get involved this Red Nose Day. For more ideas, check out the fundraising page on the Red Nose Day website.
If you need a bit more inspiration, read these funny anecdotes from some of the wittiest bloggers in our Network.
This Money Matters post aims to be informative and engaging. Though it may include tips and information, it does not constitute advice and should not be used as a basis for any financial decisions. Sainsbury's Bank accepts no responsibility for the opinions and views of external contributors and the content of external websites included within this post. Some links may take you to another Sainsbury's Bank page. All information in this post was correct at date of publication.