Sainsbury's Pet Insurance offers a great combination of cover and value.
- 12 months for the price of 9 - exclusive introductory offer for Nectar card holders who take out a new policy online by 8th July 2013. If you don't have a Nectar card, don't worry - you'll still get a 20% introductory online discount. Minimum premiums apply**
Or buy by telephone
- £50 Sainsbury's gift card - if you quote and buy a new Option 2 policy by telephone on or before 8th July 2013 - exclusive to Nectar card holders#. Call us on 0800 434 6359
- Double Nectar points - for 2 years on Sainsbury's shopping if you choose an Option 2 policy - whether you buy online or by telephone*
Choose the right cover for you
Whether you are looking for dog insurance or cat insurance, we have a pet policy to suit your budget.
- Option 1 - up to £3,000 vet fees cover per condition (12 month limit)
- Option 2 - up to £7,500 vet fees cover per condition with no maximum time limit for vet treatment fees providing your existing policy is renewed annually and premiums are up to date, premiums may increase year on year
You can take out a new policy if your cat or dog is older than 8 weeks but has not yet reached their 9th birthday. However, once purchased, cover can continue up to any age if you renew the existing policy.
- Claims settled quickly - most are settled within 5 days^
- Convenience - your vet can be paid directly
- Spread the cost - pay monthly by Direct Debit at no extra charge
- Multi-pet discount - 5% discount for additional pets (discounts deducted separately)
- Award winning cover - we're proud to have won Consumer Intelligence's 'Intelligent Choice Award for Customer Satisfaction' in 2012
Please make sure you have read our privacy statement before proceeding.
You can get a pet insurance online quote today.
How it works
Sainsbury’s Pet Insurance offers two choices of cover to suit your pet – and fit your budget.
Option 1: Up to £3,000 vet fees cover per condition for a maximum of 12 months.
Option 2: Up to £7,500 vet fees cover per condition with no maximum time limit for vet treatment fees providing your existing policy is renewed annually and premiums are up to date, premiums may increase year on year
For more detail on the two options, please see the table below.
Quick step cover
For a quick Sainsbury’s Pet Insurance quote have the following details ready:
- Your pet’s date of birth - you can take out a new policy if your cat or dog is older than 8 weeks but has not yet reached their 9th birthday. However, once purchased, cover can continue up to any age if you renew the existing policy
- Your pet’s gender and breed
- Your postcode
- Your Nectar card - you need it at time of application to take advantage of our exclusive offers
Here's a summary of what you get with each option
For full cover details please read the policy document.
|Policy Section||Title||Option 1 limits||Option 2 limits||Claim basis|
|1||Veterinary fees||£3,000 12 month limit||£7,500||Per condition|
|Complementary treatment||Not covered||£1,000||Per condition|
|Behavioural problems||Not covered||£250||Per period of insurance|
|Clinical diet||Not covered||£200||Per condition|
|Overseas veterinary treatment||Not covered||£2,500||Per condition|
|Cremation||Not covered||£100||Per incident|
|2||Personal liability||£1,000,000||£2,000,000||Per incident|
|3||Emergency boarding kennels and cattery fees||Not covered||£100 (max £1,000)||Per week|
|4||Daily minding||Not covered||£100 (max £1,000)||Per week|
|5||Advertising costs||£1,000||£1,000||Per period of insurance|
|Reward costs||£250||£250||Per period of insurance|
|6||Theft or straying||Not covered||Up to £750||Per incident|
|7||Death caused by injury||Not covered||£1,500||Per incident|
|8||Death from illness||Not covered||£1,000||Per incident|
|9||Trip cancellation or return home||Not covered||£3,000||Per period of insurance|
|10||Expenses for referral to another vet||Not covered||£150||Per period of insurance|
|11||Accidental damage||Not covered||£500||Per period of insurance|
|12||Damage to Kennel or basket||Not covered||£100||Per period of insurance|
|13||Personal accident to owner||Not covered||£5,000||Per incident|
|14||Quarantine costs||Not covered||£2,000||Per trip|
|15||Loss of health certificate||Not covered||£250||Per incident|
|16||Repeat tick and worming treatment||Not covered||Reasonable costs||Per incident|
|17||Emergency expenses abroad||Not covered||£500||Per trip|
Policy excess – Option 1 & Option 2
|Age of pet at time of treatment||Excess per condition per year|
|Younger than 9 years||£75 + 10% of claims cost|
|9 years or over||£75 + 10% of claims cost|
Personal liability third party property damage: £250
Trip cancellation or return home: £50
For full details of the cover you’ll get, find your relevant policy document here.
View the important information document (PDF 216KB)
Alternatively, you can call 0800 434 6359† to request a copy.
Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc. Sainsbury's Finance is a trading name of Sainsbury's Bank plc. Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England no 3279730) is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority Registered Number 184514. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply. A copy of the full policy wording and complaints procedure is available on request.
Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance is underwritten by AXA Insurance UK plc. Registered in England No 78950. Registered Office: 5 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1AD. The policy is subject to the law of England and Wales. Insurance available to cats and dogs that are older than 8 weeks but have not yet reached their 9th birthday. However once purchased, cover can continue up to any age, if you renew the existing policy.
Hints & tips
A healthy pet is a happy pet, so we thought we'd share a few top tips to keep your dog or cat in peak condition.
Looking after your dog
- Diet tips - making sure your dog has a healthy diet is essential. And remember, it’s quality not quantity. Don’t overfeed your dog
- Keep 'em collared - use a collar with your name and a contact number. So if your dog is lost, whoever finds them can easily contact you to ensure their safe return. Consider having your dog microchipped – your vet can tell you more about this
- Exercise - to help keep your dog fit, daily walks are important. And keep it interesting for you both – vary your route. If you are going to use a dog walker, make sure they understand your dog’s needs
- Interactive games - dogs are natural scavengers and problem solvers. So keep them entertained with interactive chews and toys. Fill them with a portion of their food, so they have to work to get it. Give your dog toys it can roll around the floor, or create a scent trail game with treats it has to sniff out
- Travel - when you take your dog in the car, make sure it has plenty of ventilation and shade and that fresh drinking water is readily available. Make regular stops to exercise your dog. If you’re going on holiday and leaving your dog behind, try to leave him or her with the people they know well or a trusted sitter or kennel
Handy cat tips
- Healthy diet - help keep your cat healthy with a suitable diet and plenty of fresh clean water
- Give them an identity - make sure your cat wears a collar with your name and a contact number attached. This means if they get lost, whoever finds them can easily get in touch. Consider having your cat microchipped – your vet can tell you more about this
- Healthy claws - keep your cat's claws in good shape by giving them a scratching post. A bristly doormat securely fixed in an upright position is a great solution - and it could save your furniture!
- Keep them entertained - if you don’t like your cat hunting, keep them entertained by giving him or her a toy to chase or hiding part of their daily dry food allowance in different places
- Take precautions - if your cat has gone outside, and you intend to drive anywhere, make sure you sound your car horn before you start it. Cats have been known to crawl up under the bonnet to keep warm
1. Offer only available to customers who take out a new Pet Insurance Option 2 policy (up to £7,500 vet fees cover).
2. Customers must renew their policy with the same level of cover at first renewal to continue collecting double points.
3. If the policy is cancelled, double points will cease from the cancellation date.
4. Only the first Pet Insurance policy registered against each Nectar account will qualify for double points. You may qualify for additional points by taking out other qualifying products.
5. Base points on qualifying spend in Sainsbury's will be collected as normal. A bonus equal to the total of these points each calendar month (subject to a monthly maximum of 2,500 points) will be credited to the Nectar account by the 10th of the following month, for up to 24 months from the policy cover start date. Excludes all Bonus points offers and points from Sainsbury's Energy, Telecoms, Digital, Bank, Diets and all other Sainsbury's services.
6. The monthly bonus will only be calculated on, and credited to the Nectar card nominated at the time of application. The nominated card must also be used at the time of each Sainsbury's purchase and points will not be allocated retrospectively.
7. The Nectar loyalty programme is operated independently of Sainsbury's Bank by Aimia Coalition Loyalty UK Ltd; and the collection and use of points is governed by the Nectar Collector Rules, set out in the registration pack and available at www.nectar.com.
8. Sainsbury's Bank reserves the right to alter, cancel or withdraw the offer without prior notice.
**12 months for the price of 9 is an introductory offer available to new customers with a Nectar card who buy online up to and including 8th July 2013. If paying monthly, you will pay 12 premiums but the total cost is based on 9 months. New customers without a Nectar card will receive a 20% introductory online discount. Minimum premiums apply.
#£50 Sainsbury's gift card is an introductory offer available to new customers with a Nectar card who quote and buy an Option 2 policy by telephone up to and including 8th July 2013. The gift card will be issued 60 days post policy start date. If you cancel within this period your gift card will not be issued. Not available online