Skip to content
Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Add our family legal protection

Solicitors don't come cheap. So if you've got nightmare neighbours or you're after compensation for that package holiday gone wrong, family legal protection might be handy if you require advice or need to go to court.

What is family legal protection?

It's a type of legal expenses insurance that can help cover your costs if you have to go to court for a private legal dispute. For example, personal injury, property disputes or faulty goods or services you paid for.

Do I need legal cover on home insurance?

You don't have to have it by law, but it can be a good thing. If, for example, you lost your job and you felt it was unfair dismissal, family legal protection could help you pay for the cost of going to an employment tribunal or equivalent to claim compensation.

What we cover

For an extra cost, you can add our optional family legal protection to help you and your family with the cost of going to court:

  • If you have a dispute over faulty goods
  • If you're in an accident where you're injured and another party is at fault
  • If you're injured as a result of clinical negligence following a medical procedure
  • If your employer breaches your employment contract or your legal rights
  • If someone trespasses on or damages your home

We'll also cover your costs if you're investigated by HMRC and you need to pay an accountant. Not only that, you'll have access to our specialist lawyers. And you can call our 24-hour legal advice helpline about any personal legal problems you have while you've got our cover.

What's not covered?

There are conditions and exclusions for each situation you claim for, so take a look at our policy document for full details. But here are some general things to remember.

You're not covered:

  • If you make a false or exaggerated claim
  • Against any action for something you did deliberately
  • If something you do or don't do prejudices your position, or ours, in the case
  • For loss or damage covered by another policy
  • For any claim for nuisance or trespass which started within 180 days from the start date of this policy unless you held equivalent cover
  • If you wish to pursue a legal action in employment tribunal or equivalent if the breach has occurred within 90 days of the start date of this cover