Contents insurance

Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited
Up to 35% off

for Nectar card holders*
Introductory discount, minimum premiums apply

*Combined loyalty and web discount available direct online. Introductory discount. Minimum premiums apply. 21% of customers who have a Nectar Card got the 35% web and Nectar card discount and 22% of phone customers who have a Nectar card got the 25% nectar discount from March 2016 to October 2016.*

expanded Overview

Offers for new customers only

  • Up to 35% off* for Sainsbury's shoppers when you buy direct online with a Nectar card. Introductory offer. Minimum premiums apply.

Minimum premiums apply. Where multiple discounts apply, each discount is applied consecutively to the reduced premium.

Choose the cover that suits you

Whether you live in a city centre apartment or a suburban semi, every home is different. And you can be sure their contents are different too. That’s why Sainsbury's Bank offer two levels of contents insurance, so you can choose the cover that's right for you.

Choice of cover levels:

  • Up to £50,000 of contents cover with Sainsbury's Home Insurance
  • Or up to £100,000 of contents cover with Sainsbury's Premier Cover Home Insurance

Both levels include cover for:

  • Digitally downloaded information
  • Garden items such as furniture, BBQs and lawnmowers
  • Student belongings while living away from home

For more information please see the 'What's covered' tab above.

What's covered

Sainsbury's home insurance offer two levels of contents insurance.

Here's a quick look at the main features of both levels of cover. For more information please see the policy booklets on the 'Policy' tab above. Please note if you purchase combined buildings and contents policy the cover must be at the same level.

Feature Sainsbury's Home Insurance Sainsbury's Premier Cover Home Insurance
Sum insured
(single valuable item)
Up to £50,000
(up to £2,000)
Up to £100,000
(up to £4,000)
Downloaded information Up to £1,000 Up to £3,000
Contents in the garden Up to £1,000 Up to £2,500
Student belongings Up to £5,000 Up to £10,000
Household removal-cover whilst moving home Up to contents sum insured Up to contents sum insured
Special events increased cover†† 10% of contents sum insured 10% of contents sum insured
Tenants liability - cover for building damages you become legally liable for up to £5,000 up to £10,000
Additional cover
- for individual limits please refer to Additional cover tab
Home Emergency# Optional extra tick
Contents Accidental Damage Optional extra tick
Family Legal Protection Optional extra tick
Personal Possessions Optional extra tick
#Not available to those living in the Scilly Isles or the Scottish Islands.
†† Limited to Births, Religious Festivals & Weddings/Civil partnerships.

Additional cover

The following features are included with the higher level Premier Cover Home Insurance. Or for an additional cost you can add them to the standard Home Insurance policy (Keycare excluded).

Feature Benefit
Home Emergency Up to £500 for call out, labour and parts in the event of an emergency at your home. Up to £250 for alternative overnight accommodation if your property becomes uninhabitable. (Not available to those living in the Scilly Isles or the Scottish Islands).
Contents Accidental Damage Cover of your personal belongings and non-permanent fixtures and fittings like carpets and curtains against non-deliberate damage.
Family Legal Protection Up to £100,000 for the costs of legal expenses and court proceedings if you are involved in any private legal disputes such as property or employment disputes. 24-hour legal advice and cover for your salary whilst you attend jury service is also provided.
Personal Possessions Cover for items that you would normally take out of the house such as jewellery, cameras, sports equipment and laptops. Limit of £2,500 (Home Insurance) and £5,000 (Premier Cover Home Insurance) – single item limit and additional limits & conditions apply.
Keycare Annual cover if you permanently lose your keys - covering the replacement and reprogramming of all keys lost on the same key fob, even your car keys. Limited to £1,000.

Tools &

Tools, guides and resources

A range of tools and guides to help you keep your home and personal belongings safe and secure.

Guide to moving home (PDF 403KB) - A handy four part guide to help your move go as smoothly as possible

Protecting your home insurance - A guide to how to cover your home insurance and ensure it remains valid

Guide to improving your home (PDF 754KB) - A comprehensive guide on how to improve and add value to your home, featuring tips on budgeting, maximising your exisiting space and some energy saving ideas.

Guide to home insurance (PDF 713KB) - A comprehensive guide to all aspects of home and contents insurance, including the different types available and how to find the right policy for your circumstances.

Protecting your home against storm damage (PDF 706KB) - Our guide on how to cover your home against severe weather, such as floods, heavy snow and high winds.

How to go green at home (PDF 876KB) - How to make your home more environmentally friendly and improve its energy efficiency.

Guide to home security - A look at the precautions you can take to cover your family home and contents.

What is home insurance? - We explain the typical aspects of buildings and contents cover.

Security tips for students - Some steps you can take to help keep belongings safe at University or College.

Home insurance glossary - An A-Z glossary featuring commonly used home insurance terms.

Crafty garden ideas (PDF 578KB) - A series of home and garden activity ideas to keep the kids entertained. Learn how to build a bottle bird feeder and grow strawberries on the windowsill.

How to value your contents - How to make sure you have adequate insurance cover for contents, including how contents is defined, replacement value and common mistakes to avoid.

What is a valuable? - How a valuable is defined under home insurance policies and information on how to have expensive possessions valued.


If your policy starts with either SBY or NHP please visit our customer support section here.

All other policyholders please visit our customer support section here.

You will be able to:

  • Find out how to make a claim
  • Browse our frequently asked questions
  • Find the contact numbers you need
  • Learn more about our Customer Care policy

For questions and quotes

  • Call 0800 260 0717
  • Send an email
  • More phone options
  • Sainsbury’s home insurance is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, Registered office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds LS1 4AZ. Registered in England and Wales No 1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

We are using cookies on this website to enhance your browsing experience. You can read more information on our cookies by clicking the "Find out more about cookies" button. By continuing your journey on this site you consent to the continued use of cookies.