Accidental Damage Cover for contents

We're all human, as the saying goes, and accidents can happen to the best of us. To help protect against this, Accidental Damage Cover for contents is available to give you peace of mind.

What is accidental damage to contents?

Accidental damage is non-intentional damage to your belongings. Accidents and damage to the contents of your home can occur in everyday life. For example, spilling that glass of red wine on the sofa while you’re watching a gripping film.

What does it cover?

This type of cover typically pays for accidental damage to contents whilst they are in your home or whilst they are being moved to a new home.

Typical items may include accidental breakage of items such as vases and ornaments, as well as DIY disasters like spilt paint on rugs. Your insurer will be able to tell you exactly what is and isn’t covered.

Are there any exemptions to look out for?

Exemptions can vary across policies so it’s important to read the terms and conditions to make sure you understand what is and isn’t covered. Accidental damage cover is typically excluded in these situations:

  • Accidental damage to bicycles or money
  • Damage caused by any paying guest or tenant
  • If your home has been unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row and it is damaged
  • Failure, wear and tear
  • Damage caused by lack of grouting or sealant

Are there any excesses to pay?

Any excess due for accidental damage claims is likely to be displayed in your policy schedule. If in doubt, contact your insurer.

What else could the cover be useful for?

Accidental damage cover for contents can work with other aspects of a policy - for example student home contents. If you want to protect your property itself, buildings insurance with accidental damage cover is widely available.

How do I get home insurance with Accidental Damage Contents Cover?

If you already have home insurance, your schedule will show if accidental damage is included. If in any doubt, it’s always worth clarifying with your insurer.

Accidental Damage Cover is included with Sainsbury's Premier Cover Home Insurance. If you choose Sainsbury’s Home Insurance you can add it as an optional extra during the quote process.

We are using cookies on this website to enhance your browsing experience. You can read more information on our cookies by clicking the "Find out more about cookies" button. By continuing your journey on this site you consent to the continued use of cookies.