Buying US Dollars online means you can place your order anytime, whether you’re at home, at work or on the go
Travel Money – US Dollar Exchange Rate
Heading to the USA?
The sky’s the limit when it comes to things to see and do in the USA. From the sunny beaches and wineries of California, to the skyscrapers of Manhattan and Colorado wilderness, you’re spoiled for choice.
Wherever you’re headed, it’s a good idea to buy US Dollars before setting off. And we can help you with that.
Why buy US Dollars from us?
- Better rates for Nectar members*
- 0% commission on all foreign currencies
- Order online for collection at an instore bureau
- FREE home delivery on cash orders of £500 or more**
How many US Dollars will I get when I convert my Pounds?
Find out exactly what you’ll get when you convert Dollars to Pounds, use our currency converter.
Rates may vary depending on whether you buy in store or online.
How to buy US Dollars
Want to exchange leftover Dollars to Pounds?
We can help with that too. Just bring any unused holiday notes into one of our travel money bureaux and we’ll exchange them for Pounds.
We buy back most foreign currency notes in denominations we sell (buy back rates vary daily).
Better rates for Nectar members
Are you a Nectar member? If so, we’ll give you an even better exchange rate when you buy US Dollars from us*.
Just tell us your Nectar card number when you place your order in store or online.
If you’re not a Nectar member, you can download the app or register at nectar.com and start enjoying the benefits straight away.Register now
USA currency, costs and attractions
- The US Dollar is the official currency in lots of countries besides the USA, including Ecuador and El Salvador. It’s also used in various US and British territories, like Puerto Rico and the British Virgin Islands
- Many other countries accept the US dollar alongside their own local currency, including the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, and Cambodia
- The currency code for the US Dollar is USD and the currency symbol is $
- US Dollar notes come in $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 denominations and there are 100 cents to every $1^
- US coins currently in circulation are the penny (1 cent), nickel (5 cents), dime (10 cents) and quarter (25 cents). Half dollars and $1 coins are produced as collectables, but can also be used as legal tender^
^ Please note we don't buy or sell foreign currency coins.
ATMs are readily available throughout the USA, with 24/7 access at many places like banks, shopping centres and airports.
You can expect to be charged at least $2.50 for an ATM withdrawal. Bear in mind that your bank might charge you as well and using a credit card at an ATM can be especially expensive. It’s worth checking charges with your bank and letting them know about your trip before you go.
Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere, and you’ll most likely need one to make a restaurant reservation or hire a car.
This will vary quite drastically depending on where in the USA you go, so it’s a good idea to research your specific destination. To give you a starting point, Lonely Planet suggest budgeting for the following daily ballpark expenses:
Travelling on a shoestring budget? Under $100:
- Dorm bed in hostel: $25–40
- Cafe, farmers market and food truck meals: $6–12
- Local bus, subway or train fare: $2–4
After affordable comfort? Around $150–250:
- Double room in a mid-range hotel: $100-250
- Meal for two in a popular restaurant: $30–60
- Daily car rental: from $30
Upgrading your holiday? More than $300:
- Double room in resort or high end hotel: from $200
- Dinner in a top restaurant: $60–100
- Concert and theatre tickets: $60–200
(Taken from lonelyplanet.com in February 2021.)
Tipping is a must in the States, so remember to factor in the following:
- In a bar: minimum $1 per drink
- In a restaurant: minimum 15-20%
- In a hotel: $2-$5 per night for housekeeping
- In a taxi: 10-15% rounded up to the nearest Dollar
Given the size and varying nature of the USA, it's difficult to pick just a few. We've listed a handful of Trip Advisor's 'Traveller Favourites' attractions and landmarks (as of February 2021):
- The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum, New York City: from $18
- Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Las Vegas: free (paid tours available)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Orlando: from $164.99
- The Getty Center, Los Angeles: free
- The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago: free
- Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC: free
- Alcatraz Island, San Francisco: free (paid tours available)
- The National WWII Museum, New Orleans: $30.27
- Grand Ole Opry, Nashville: $95.31
- Wyndwood Walls, Miami: free (paid tours available)
- Fenway Park, Boston: prices vary for games and paid tours available
After another currency?
We sell over 50 different currencies from all corners of the world, with great rates and 0% commission.View all our currencies
Travel tools and guides
Our handy travel guides will provide you with top tips when travelling abroad.
For additional travel tips and information, as well as help getting your travel money sorted, take a look at travel guides and tools page.
Have a look at our FAQs, where you’ll find our answers to customers’ most common travel money questions.
*Nectar members receive better exchange rates on single purchase transactions of all available foreign currencies. Excludes travel money card home delivery orders and online reloads. Exchange rates may vary depending on whether you buy in store and online.
You need to tell us your Nectar card number at the time of your transaction. No cash alternative is available. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
**You can order currency for a secure home delivery by 1pm on the day of your choice by Royal Mail (Mon- Sat). For next day delivery your order needs to be confirmed before 1.30pm (Mon- Fri). Please note that whilst Royal Mail make every effort to delivery on schedule, we cannot guarantee this as it is beyond our control. Highlands and Islands (including Channel Islands) are not guaranteed next day delivery. Delivery is free on all cash orders £500 or more (£4.99 for orders between £100 and £499.99). The minimum order for home delivery is £100. The delivery day quoted is dependent on the order day being a working day; if one of those days is a public holiday then additional day(s) will be added accordingly. All home delivery orders are sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery, unless we advise you otherwise, to your billing address, and a signature will be required upon delivery. A valid telephone number is required for home delivery.
Sainsbury's Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport™ Mastercard® is issued by PrePay Technologies Limited pursuant to license by Mastercard International. PrePay Technologies Limited is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (FRN: 900010) for the issuing of electronic money and payment instruments. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.