Skip to content
Protect the things that matter most

Removals insurance from Sainsbury’s Bank

Moving home can already be a challenge, and the last thing you need is damage to your furniture and other possessions along the way.

Settle into your new home with removals insurance

Moving is stressful enough without worrying about whether your possessions will make it to your new home in one piece. That’s why we include cover for your belongings when you’re moving house as standard with our contents insurance.

As our contents insurance includes removers insurance cover, we’ll help cover the cost of any loss or damage to your valuables during the moving process. So you’ll have one less thing to worry about during the move.

What is household removal insurance?

Insurance for removals, also known as mover’s or moving house insurance, protects your furniture, family heirlooms and furnishings from loss and damage while you move home. By investing in insurance that covers removals you can protect your belongings as they’re packed, loaded and taken from one location to another.

Relocating can be daunting as you have to account for the safety of all your possessions, from the family sofa to your electronics. If you’re putting any items in storage, you want to make sure they’re covered too.

Planning is essential to a successful move and it’s a good idea to make sure that protecting your belongings from breakage and theft is on your to-do list. Insuring your contents for removals could help cover you for losses, minimising the amount coming out of your own pocket to replace things.

As long as you're using a professional removal contractor to transport your valuables, removals insurance can go a long way toward protecting your belongings.

The British Association of Removers can assist you in not only finding a removal firm, but also providing you with an estimate of how much your move will cost. This will also help you to weigh up the cost against hiring your own van if self-removal is an option you’re considering.

What does contents insurance with removals cover include?

Insurance for removals can help protect your furniture and other valuables while moving house. This includes damage and loss caused by:

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Vandalism and malicious acts
  • Escape of water or oil
  • A crash with another vehicle
  • Fire and explosion
  • Lightning, storm, flood and earthquake

Our removals insurance is included with Sainsbury's Bank contents cover as standard. For further details about our contents insurance for moving house, take a look at our policy information.

Cover limits, exclusions and excesses may apply.

What’s not covered by removals insurance?

Although we make every effort to offer a policy that suits you perfectly, there are certain things that aren’t covered by our removers insurance when moving house, such as:

  • Any valuables or money lost, damaged or stolen in the move
  • Damage to things like china, glass and other fragile items – unless you've had them professionally packed
  • Bikes
  • Documents and data (hard copies or digitally-stored)
  • Temporary storage of items by the mover for more than 72 hours

Our policy information provides more details about restrictions to our contents cover.


Things to consider

While you’re covered by removal insurance, there are still some things you should consider. As careful as you are with your belongings at home, they’re at risk of theft and damage when being packed away and transported. Whether it’s water damage from bad weather or boxes breaking in the back of your moving van, your removals insurance needs to cover all kinds of variables.

DIY moves aren’t covered by our standard policy so ensure you use a professional mover to get your belongings from A to B. Although this will incur an additional expense, it’s better to be safe when considering the potential cost of replacing expensive items.

You may want to use a firm registered with The British Association of Removers (BAR). Their online Find a Remover tool can help you locate registered companies in your area.

To remain covered by removals insurance, you’ll also need to update your property information with us, as your new home and location could affect your premiums.

Some expensive items may not be covered by standard household goods insurance. Check your policy and make sure you have removal insurance cover for all valuables that need it. And keep in mind that cover limits, exclusions and excesses apply. Find out more about what’s covered and what’s not in our policy documents.

For more helpful tips on how to plan a seamless move, check out our guide to moving home.

Furnish your removals insurance with our optional extras

You want to give your belongings the proper care and attention they deserve when packing. Now you've laid the foundations with our standard cover, for an extra cost you can give your treasured possessions even more protection.

Even if you’re planning on bubble-wrapping every item, you should consider adding extra accidental damage cover to your home insurance policy. This can help minimise any unexpected expenses if a box is dropped on the move. We also offer: 

Get your contents insurance with removal cover as standard online quote

We know moving house can be difficult and the process can be costly. 
Our home contents cover includes protection for your belongings during a move, so you’ve no need to purchase another policy.


Find the right policy for you

Buildings cover

Our buildings insurance helps protects your property and the structure of your home, from windows and doors, to the roof and permanent fittings

Contents cover

Contents insurance helps cover your furniture, family heirlooms and gadgets, so you’ve help replacing any items lost, stolen or damaged

Buildings and contents cover

Looking to cover everything from the water pipes to the big-screen TV? Combined buildings and home contents insurance might be for you

Helpful guides

For hints and tips on all things home insurance, check out our guides. Covering everything from creating a greener home to a glossary of terms. 


Any questions?

Please take a look at the frequently asked questions on our home and buildings insurance.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need removals insurance?

That is entirely up to each individual. Removals insurance could be an essential part of the moving process as it protects your valuables against loss or damage while being transported from A to B. 

Some policies may require you to pay an additional premium, but as you’re trusting someone else with your belongings, removal insurance may be worth the extra cost.

What is storage insurance?

Storage insurance is a specialist policy that can protect your possessions against loss or damage while they are stored away from your property. This may be a viable alternative to removals insurance if you plan to store your valuables away for a while. At Sainsbury’s Bank, we provide 72 hours of cover for your storage. 

Does home insurance cover removals?

Some contents insurance policies will include removals insurance, while others will require you to pay an additional premium. It’s important to check your existing policy before you get started.

At Sainsbury’s Bank, removals insurance is included in our contents insurance policy as standard, giving you extra protection while you’re on the move.

Should I use a professional removals company?

Yes, it’s advisable to use a professionals removals company when moving home. A reputable removals firm will have the proper equipment to move all your belongings safely, so there is less risk of damage. Plus, DIY moves are typically not covered by removals insurance, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.