Learn more about life insurance and how it can help protect your loved ones
Choose the right life cover for you
Whether you want to use an Over 50s policy to leave loved ones a small cash sum gift or take out a life insurance policy to lessen their financial burden if you die, we can help. Explore our Life Insurance options to compare the features and benefits:
Why choose a life insurance policy through Sainsbury’s Bank?
Planning, preparing and protecting against some of life's curveballs makes the unexpected a little easier to cope with. Find out how a Sainsbury’s Bank Life Insurance policy could help your family.
- Protection by one of the UK’s largest life insurance providers, Legal & General
- You’ll get up to £110 of Nectar points †. You'll receive your points within 60 days after you've paid 5 months' premiums
- We’ll double the Nectar points on your Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel ‡
What is life insurance?
Life insurance could pay out a cash sum if you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness (life expectancy less than 12 months) during the length of your policy. In the event of your death, a successful claim will typically pay out a cash sum that could be used to help pay the mortgage or everyday living expenses.
How does Life Insurance work?
Life insurance could pay out a cash sum if you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness (life expectancy less than 12 months) during the length of your policy.
You pay your life insurance company a fixed monthly (or sometimes annual) premium for a set amount of cover. If a successful claim is then made, the policy could give your loved ones a cash sum to contribute towards things like:
- Living expenses
- Paying off an interest-only mortgage balance
- Covering funeral expenses
- Paying off any outstanding bills and debts
- Leaving some money as an inheritance or a gift
Everyone needs different things from their insurance – that's life.
- You can get cover from as little as £5 a month
- You can decide how long you want the policy to run and how much cover you need
- You can choose between a single or joint policy
- If your circumstances change, then you may be able to make changes to your policy (terms & Conditions apply)
- If your application is not accepted straight away, Accidental Death Benefit is automatically included for no extra cost while your application is processed (terms & Conditions apply)
- Terminal Illness Cover (with a life expectancy of less than 12 months) is automatically included at no extra cost on policies with a term of at least 2 years
Find out more information in the Policy Summary.
Critical Illness Cover
When you take out your Life Insurance or Decreasing Life Insurance policy you can add Critical Illness Cover for an extra cost. It can help minimise the financial impact of a critical illness on you and your family.
Get Nectar member benefits
You can earn thousands of Nectar points when you take out a Life Insurance policy with us. You'll get your points within 60 days of paying your first five months' premiums. To join Nectar, just download the app or register at nectar.com.
The number of Nectar points you’ll receive depends on the type of policy and your monthly premium:
Life Insurance and Decreasing Life Insurance
If your monthly premium is:
- Under £8.50, we’ll give you 10,000 points (worth £50)
- £8.50-£20, we'll give you 16,000 points (worth £80)
- Over £20, we'll give you 22,000 points (worth £110)
Before you apply
It’s usually quick and easy to apply for life insurance online, but there are some things to bear in mind before you buy a policy.
Remember that life insurance is not a savings or investment product and offers no cash value or financial return unless a valid claim is made. If you stop paying premiums before the end of your plan, your cover will end 30 days after your missed payment.
If your life insurance is to cover your mortgage, your policy may not completely pay off your outstanding mortgage unless you make sure your amount of cover is adjusted to match any new mortgage arrangements.
It's your responsibility to make sure any policy you purchase is right for you. If you have questions or need advice, you should speak directly with a financial advisor. Please read the Policy Booklet and Policy Summary [PDF 113KB] before you apply.Get a quote
Serious accidents are an unfortunate and unexpected fact of life. Sometimes when you submit a life insurance application online, over the phone or in person, an immediate decision can’t be given. That’s why Accidental Death Benefit is included with our Life Insurance policy, at no extra cost.
The cover will last for 90 days or until your application is accepted, postponed or declined, or you give notification that you no longer want to proceed, whichever is earliest. The maximum payment would be the amount of cover you applied for (across all applications) or £300,000, whichever is lower. Find out more about Accidental Death Benefit.
Need more information about life insurance?
You now will be taken through to Legal & General to complete your quote
† Up to £110 of Nectar points
1. This offer is only available when you take out a new Life Insurance or Decreasing Life Insurance policy. Purchases through price comparison, cashback, voucher code and similar sites are excluded
2. After you’ve paid 5 months’ premiums, we'll give you: 22,000 points (worth £110) if your monthly premium is over £20, 16,000 points (worth £80) if your premium is £8.50 - £20.00 or 10,000 points (worth £50) if your premium is under £8.50
3. We'll add the points to your Nectar account within 60 days
4. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply
5. We'll award points on no more than 2 policies per household in any 12 month period
6. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available
7. Sainsbury’s Bank reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice
‡ Double Nectar points offer
1. Offer available to customers buying a new life insurance, decreasing life insurance or over 50s life insurance policy
2. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase
3. Double points begin on your policy’s cover start date. If you tell us your Nectar card number after your cover start date, double points begin on the date you tell us
4. Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums
5. Each Nectar account can only collect points from one life insurance policy
6. It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service
7. By the 10th of each month, you’ll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points
8. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available
9. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.