Learn more about life insurance and how it can provide comfort to your loved ones.
What is Accidental Death Benefit?
Serious accidents are an unfortunate and unexpected fact of life. Sometimes when you apply for life insurance an immediate decision can’t be given. That’s why Accidental Death Benefit is included with your life insurance policy, at no extra cost. Accidental Death Benefit offers some protection whilst your application is being processed. Cover will last 90 days or until your application is accepted, postponed or declined or you give notification that you no longer want to go ahead. The cover will start when we get a completed application form from you online or over the phone.
Accidental Death Benefit pays out a cash sum if you die within 90 days of an accident. Legal & General define an accident as an incident where bodily injury is sustained, caused by accidental, violent, external and visible means, which solely and independently of any other cause results in death. The maximum payment would be the amount of cover you applied for (across all applications) or £300,000, whichever is lower.
Things you need to know
The benefit will not be paid if your application is to replace an existing policy with Legal & General, while you remain covered under the existing one.
The benefit will not be paid out if you die from:
- Suicide, intentional and serious self-injury or an event where, in Legal & General’s reasonable opinion, you took your own life
- Taking part or attempting to take part in a dangerous sport or pastime
- Taking part or attempting to take part in an aerial flight other than as a fare paying passenger on a licensed airline
- Committing, attempting or provoking an assault or criminal offence
- War (whether declared or not), riot or civil commotion
- Taking alcohol or drugs (unless these drugs were prescribed by a registered doctor in the United Kingdom)
- Accidents that happened before your application
For further details, please read the policy summary.
Whether you want to leave your loved ones with a cash gift or help protect your mortgage, there’s a policy to suit you.
Got a query about life insurance? We’ve answered the most asked questions.Find out more