Skip to content
Sainsbury's Bank Car Insurance - Drive Happy

Car Insurance

RAC Breakdown Cover

Add RAC Breakdown Cover

It's always the way. You've got bags of frozen food and your tired little cherubs in the car, or you're off to the wedding of the year, and the car breaks down. Our breakdown cover is provided by the RAC, so wherever you are in the UK they're just around the corner – ready to get you to where you need to be.

What is breakdown cover?

Breakdown cover can be bought on its own from a specialist provider or as an optional extra when buying your car insurance. Depending on what level you choose, you can get everything from roadside and recovery in the UK, to European Breakdown cover if you need it.

What we cover

We've joined forces with the RAC to provide five levels of breakdown cover to get you back on the road. Just choose the one you want and add it to your policy for an additional premium.

Whether you want to ensure you have breakdown cover if you're on your European holiday, or you're just looking for roadside assistance, we've got an option that meets every need. Take a look at the table below to see what works for you, then you can either get a quick quote online or call us for more information.

  Bronze Silver Gold Platinum Platinum+ Europe

Mis-fuel Rescue
We'll get you up and running if you put the wrong fuel in your tank

UK Roadside Assistance
We'll fix your car there and then or, if it can't be fixed, we'll take you and the car to a place of your choice within 10 miles

UK Recovery
If your car can't be fixed, we'll take you and your car wherever you need to be in the UK


At Home
If your car breaks down within ¼ mile of home, and the problem can't be fixed there and then, we'll take you and your car to a place of your choice within 10 miles


Onward Travel
If your car can't be fixed, we'll either pay for alternative transport for you – like a courtesy car or the train – or pay for you to stay a night in a hotel


European Motoring Assistance
If your car breaks down in Europe, we'll repair your car if we can or pay towards things like a courtesy car, your travel home or your overnight accommodation



What's not covered

Each type of breakdown cover comes with its own set of conditions and exclusions. So make sure you check the policy document to find out what's what. But in the meantime, here are a few things to remember.

You're not covered:

  • for any transport or recovery you arrange yourself when your car breaks down

  • for the cost of parts needed to fix the car

  • if your car breaks down because of something the RAC have already been out to fix temporarily and you haven't arranged the repairs the RAC recommended

If you're off to Europe

With our car insurance, you're insured to drive in Europe for up to 35 or 90 days – depending on what policy you choose.

Check our policy document. And for tips on driving abroad, take a look at our guide to driving in Europe.

Breakdown cover provided by RAC Motoring Services (registered no. 01424399) and RAC Insurance Ltd (registered no. 2355834). Registered in England; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Motoring Services is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.