What is bicycle insurance?
Cycling is an increasingly popular method of transport. Not only is it quick, easy and environmentally friendly, but it’s also great exercise. Many households have a bike and unfortunately, they can be an easy target for thieves. That's why our home insurance comes with bike cover.
Bike insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing your bike if it’s stolen or damaged while it’s on your property.
With our home contents insurance, bike cover comes as standard meaning your bicycles are protected from theft, loss and accidental damage. To be covered by the policy your bike must be kept in your shed or garage, or locked up in your garden.
Our bike cover applies to push and pedal bikes, trikes, tandems, unicycle and any other kind of pedal bike. We cover bikes for up to £750, meaning you can buy a replacement and quickly get on the move again if your bike is stolen. Just bear in mind that cover limits, exclusions and excesses may apply.
What’s not covered?
Our insurance for bikes doesn’t offer protection for:
- Loss or damage while it’s being used for racing, rallies, pacemaking or trials
- Loss of, or damage to, accessories or tyres unless they’re damaged or taken at the same time as your bike
- Theft while the bike is unattended, unless it’s in a locked building or securely locked to a permanently fixed structure
Take a look at our policy document for more details on insurance for your bike.
It is important to lock your bike securely and take care of it. Take a look at our guide to home security to keep your home and belongings safe.
Want cover for your bike away from home?
If you’re a keen cyclist, or have a particularly high-end bike, you might want to get bike cover for away from home. For an extra cost, you can add personal possession cover to insure your bike wherever you are.
With personal possession cover, your bike is protected for loss, damage or theft when you’re out and about. Compare bicycle insurance and take a look at what’s included with our bike cover away from home. As with most other insurance, be mindful that exclusions and cover limits will apply to this cover.
For an additional cost, you can expand on our standard home insurance with optional extras that offer you and your belongings even more protection.
- Personal possessions cover - get extra protection for your valuables both at home and when you’re out and about. Covering items like laptops and mobile phones
- Enhanced accidental damage cover, for both contents and buildings insurance to give you added cover against unexpected damage
- Home emergency cover, for the costs of repairs for things like gas leaks or burst pipes
- Family legal protection, to cover your costs if you have to go to court for a private legal dispute
- Key cover - we’ll refund you for any costs associated with repairing or replacing your keys if they’re lost or stolen
Note that cover limits, exclusions and excesses may apply.
Got a question?
Take a look at the frequently asked questions on our home and buildings insurance.