Frequently asked questions
If you make your own holiday arrangements and book your flights, accommodation and car hire separately, our Travel Disruption Cover included at no extra cost with our Standard insurance, will cover you for unexpected events such as: natural disasters, airline insolvency, airport and airspace closures and other similar events.
Our cover provides up to £5,000 if your trip is cancelled or cut short as a result of:
- The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advising against travel to or evacuation from your holiday destination
- Insolvency of accommodation providers
- Insolvency of / strike action by the airline
- Airport / port or air space being closed for 24 hour
As well as cover for cancelling or cutting short your trip the insurance also provides cover for:
- Reasonable additional accommodation and transport costs incurred, up to the standard of your original booking, up to £5,000 if you can’t use your accommodation due to the insolvency of the provider or the accommodation is made uninhabitable due to fire, flood, tsunami, hurricane or infectious disease
- Replacement flight up to £1,500 for each insured person– if your scheduled airline becomes insolvent
- Enforced stay - £100 per 24 hour delay up to £1,500 – in the event that you are stuck abroad due to airspace or the airport/port or channel tunnel being closed for more than 24 hours.
We will not pay if costs are recoverable from elsewhere or for any claims arising directly or indirectly from circumstances known to you prior to the date the insurance is purchased by you or the time of booking any trip which could reasonably have been expected to give rise to cancellation or cutting short the trip.
collapsed Before I go on holiday, where can I get information and advice on the country I intend to visit?
In addition to the advice you can receive as a policyholder from the Sainsbury's 24 hour Travel Insurance helpline, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website offers a wealth of travel advice and tips, and up-to-date, country-specific information.
collapsed I am currently suffering from a medical problem; will this be covered under my travel policy?
We offer a medical screening process, which will confirm whether claims that relate to an existing medical condition will be covered. We've tried to ensure that only a very small number of customers will not qualify for cover, but some conditions may mean that you have to pay a bit more to make sure you are fully covered.
collapsed I want to go on holiday for eight weeks. Will such a long break be covered under your annual policy?
Our annual insurance allows up to 60 days for any one trip, therefore an eight week holiday is fine.
No, premiums are based on the individuals who are travelling.
Yes, the main exclusions are:
- Travelling against medical advice
- Pre-existing medical conditions that have not been agreed by us
- Hazardous sports or activities that have not been agreed by us
- Pregnancy or childbirth, if the due date is less than 12 weeks (16 weeks for a multiple birth) after the end of the trip
- Theft from unattended vehicles in some circumstances
- Loss of, or damage to baggage not reported within 24 hours
- Flying, except as a fare-paying passenger
- An excess - the amount you have to pay towards a claim - will apply to some sections.
If you accidentally delete the email telling you how to access your documents, you can call our Customer Services Team on 0330 100 9350 and we will re-send the email.
The documentation that you can access online will be in a printable format. However, if you are unable to print your documents or prefer to receive a paper copy from us, please call our Customer Services Team on 0330 100 9350.
collapsed I need my documents in large print so I won’t be able to read the documents you email me. What should I do?
We are committed to meeting the needs of all our customers. For visually impaired customers, we can provide documents in large print, Braille or on audio cassette. Simply call our Customer Services Team on 0330 100 9350 (lines open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) and we will arrange to send the documents in a format that suits you. In addition, if you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can use Typetalk whenever you contact us, or contact us using Textphone on 0800 316 0775 (lines open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).
You can access your insurance documents online for the duration of your policy. If you need to access your documents after this time please call our Customer Services Team on 0330 100 9350*.
All customer information, including your personal and medical information, is stored securely on our systems. The link we give you allows you to access our system. We provide you with a unique password and will ask you a security question that only you will know to access your data.
We use 128 bit SSL encryption on the secure link. 128 bit SSL encryption is the highest level of protection possible and therefore the one used by all sites where financial transactions occur.
*Telephone calls may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under our quality control procedures.