Optional Key Cover for your car
We've all been there, checking our pockets dozens of times just in case they turn up. Losing your keys is upsetting and stressful. Even more so if someone's stolen them. Thank goodness for our Key Protection. Add it to your car insurance for an additional cost and, if your keys do go missing, you won't be locked out for long.
What is key cover?
Key cover is sometimes called key insurance or key protection. It can help you with the cost of recovering or replacing your keys if they're lost or stolen.
What we cover
When you add our Key Cover, it gives you up to £1,500 (including VAT) worth of cover if your keys are lost, stolen (you will need a crime reference number) or damaged. That includes the cost of:
- Replacing your lock and key
- Reprogramming your alarm and immobiliser
- Getting back into your car if your keys are locked inside
- Any public transport you need to take – make sure you keep the receipts
- Three days' car hire (up to £75 per day) if you're stranded far from home
- Access to our 24-hour emergency helpline.
And if your house keys were on there too:
- Replacing your locks and keys
- Getting back into your home if your keys are locked inside
You will need to cover the cost of these initially, but your insurer will pay you back once they’ve validated your claim.
We'll send you a key fob when you take out the policy, and it's really important that you attach any keys to be covered under the policy to this. This can include your car keys, house keys, office keys etc. If you don't, they won't be covered.
What's not covered
This policy doesn't cover:
- Keys that weren't attached to the fob we sent you
- Stolen keys without a crime reference number
- Public transport or taxi fares without receipts or tickets
- Car hire, unless it's arranged through AXA Assistance.
Will it affect my no claims discount?
No – don't worry. Claiming on your car key insurance won't touch your discount.