Home key cover
We’ve all been there. That oh no! feeling when you can’t find your house keys. Checking your pockets dozens of times just in case they turn up. Turning your bag inside out trying to find them. Clearing out the car to see if they’ve fallen between the seats.
Home insurance with key cover won’t find your keys but it will help you with the cost of sorting it. You can add key cover to your home insurance policy and if your keys go missing, we’ll help you get back in your home quickly.
What is key cover?
Home key cover, sometimes called key care insurance or key loss insurance, helps you with the cost of lost or stolen keys.
We take care of the costs incurred, up to the policy limit, when you misplace the keys to your home, car or office. We’ll provide you with help by arranging key or lock repair or replacement. Our home insurance gives you some key cover as standard and you can enhance this by adding our additional key cover.
What does our key cover policy include?
Adding our additional home key cover to your home contents insurance gives you access to our 24/7 emergency helpline as well as key loss insurance.
If you’ve lost your keys, or they’ve been stolen or damaged, we’ll cover you for up to £1,500 (including VAT). Initially, you’ll need to cover the cost of this, but you’ll be reimbursed if your claim is validated. The cover includes:
- Replacing your lost or stolen keys
- Changing parts of the lock or replacing the lock
- Getting back into your home if your keys are locked inside
Are car keys covered on home insurance?
Absolutely. When you pay an additional premium for key care insurance, it applies to car keys as well. This includes:
- Reprogramming your alarm and immobiliser
- Getting back into your car if your keys are locked inside
- Any public transport you may need to take, so long as you keep the receipts
- Three days car hire (up to £75 per day) if you’re stranded far from home
Get in touch to find out what’s covered and what’s not, as well as how much home and car key care cover will cost when you add it to your home insurance policy.
What’s not covered?
There are some things not included in our key cover. The main things to remember you will not be covered for are:
- Stolen keys without a crime reference number
- Full replacement locks if just one part needs fixed
- Claims for locks or keys damaged due to wear and tear
- Additional or duplicate keys
- Locks that were damaged prior to the key theft
- Replacement locks or keys of a higher standard than those being replaced
Take a look at our policy document for full details of what key care cover includes, and policy exclusions.
Optional extras for further peace of mind
Key care cover isn’t the only extra we offer for your insurance policy. You can add these optional extras for an additional cost, to further protect your home and valuable possessions:
- Enhanced accidental damage cover, for both buildings and contents, to help ensure your home and belongings are protected from harm
- Home emergency cover, to help cover the cost of unexpected situations, for example a gas leak
- Personal possessions cover, to help protect your valuables when you’re out and about, including your mobile phone and laptop
- Family legal protection, to help cover your costs if you need to go to court for a legal dispute
- Home excess cover, to help refund any excess you have paid following a successful, settled eligible claim on your Sainsbury’s Bank Home Insurance