Find definitions and explanations of common pet insurance terms.
We’re here if you need us
Our pet insurance gives you cover for death from accident or illness as standard.
We hope you never have to make a claim on this part of your policy. But, if your cat or dog dies during the policy year, we could give you what you paid for your pet. We’ll pay up to the limit set out in your policy documents.
If you take out an insurance policy with us, we’ll also:
- Give you a guaranteed discount if you’re a Nectar member*
- We’ll double your Nectar points on Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel**
- Give you a discount for every cat and dog on a multi-pet policy†
What you’re covered for
You can get pet insurance as soon as your cat or dog is eight weeks old.
If your pet dies from illness, we’ll cover cats until they reach their tenth birthday. For most dogs, the upper limit for this part of the cover is eight years of age. But for some breeds, it’s their fifth birthday.
The death from accidental injury part of the benefit does not have an upper age limit.
Death from accident or illness cover
|Time limited £3,000||Lifetime £2,500||Lifetime £5,000||Lifetime £7,500||Lifetime £10,000||Maximum benefit £3,000||Maximum benefit £6,000|
|Covers up to max amount|
You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy documents.
How does death from accident or illness cover work?
If your pet dies because of an accident or illness, we’ll pay this benefit on top of any fees to treat your pet before they passed away. An accident is defined as anything sudden and unexpected.
We’ll also pay if your vet believes putting them to sleep is the kindest way to stop them suffering unnecessarily from their accidental injury or illness.
Our insurance will also pay up to £200 towards the cost of your pet’s cremation or cemetery burial.
What’s not included in our cover?
We won’t pay if your pet dies because of:
- An illness or condition you knew about before buying insurance
- Accidental injury or poisoning that occurs in the first three days of the policy
- A condition that occurs in the first 14 days of the policy
- Pregnancy complications
- An illness if your cat is 10 years of age or older
- An illness if your dog is eight years or older – for some breeds it’s five years of age
We do not cover any pre-existing conditions. Your policy documents will explain all the limits on your cover.
There are some breeds that we won't cover under our £10,000 limit which you can find details of in our FAQ section. Please note that we won't cover any pre-existing conditions and that terms, conditions, excesses and exclusions and limitations apply. You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy documents.
How do I make a claim?
Call our claims team on 0344 543 1032 and we’ll send you a claims form. You then need to complete and return it to us.
We understand it’s a difficult time so aim to settle quickly. 95% of claims paid within 5 days ^based on 2019 data for policies arranged by Pinnacle Insurance Ltd.
- The receipt you got when you bought your pet
- Your pet’s pedigree certificate, if they had one
Don’t worry if you can’t find the original receipt. We can estimate a current market value, or use the amount you said you paid when you bought your policy. We’ll use the lower of these two values and won’t pay more than your policy limit.
Helpful guides for pet owners
For everything you need to know about pets, browse our series of handy guides.
We’ve listed the most common questions we get asked in our FAQs, so you can find the answers you want quickly.Explore our FAQs
Our death from accident or illness insurance covers you if your pet passes away in the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. If your pet dies abroad, you are insured provided the accident or illness are covered under the terms and conditions of your policy. Find out what accidents and illnesses aren't covered above.
There are lots of things we know about your pet, like its age, breed, sex and pedigree. We use all the details we have about your cat or dog, compare it with similar animals and come up with a value for your pet.
Ready to buy pet insurance?
If you’ve been looking for pet insurance that includes fatal accident or illness cover as standard, we can help. If you’re ready, we’re ready.Find out more
Get in touch
If you need to speak to us, call 0344 543 1032. You can also get us through our other contact details.
We’re here Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles and may be monitored and recorded.
*Guaranteed discount for Nectar card holders: The discount is based on information related to you and the transactions you've made with Sainsbury's supermarkets and Sainsbury's Bank using your Nectar card. For more information go to sainsburysbank.co.uk/nectar.
**Double Nectar points:
- Only available to customers buying a new Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance policy.
- You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply, and use this card with each Sainsbury's purchase.
- Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us.
- Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums.
- Each Nectar account can only collect points from one pet insurance policy.
- It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service.
- By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points.
- Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available.
- We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
†Multi-pet discount is a minimum of £24 when insuring more than one pet as this is worked out at £1 per pet per month for each pet on a policy, up to a maximum of six pets. Pets can have different cover levels. Discount deducted separately from any other offer.
Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register no. 184514). Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc.
Sainsbury's Bank plc acts as an introducer to Pinnacle Insurance plc who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register number 110866). Registered Office: Pinnacle House, A1 Barnet Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2XX. Sainsbury’s Bank plc and Pinnacle Insurance plc are not part of the same corporate group.
^Based on claims paid in 2019 by Pinnacle Insurance plc.