You're in the driving seat
Welcome to your car insurance hub – everything you need to manage your policy in one place.
You can find out how to make a claim, make a change or just make sure you know what’s what when it comes to your cover. But don’t forget, we’re here if you need us. So give us a call if you can’t find what you’re after.
We'll clear the road
To make our claims process as consistent and easy as we can for you, we work with Auxillis. They're specialists when it comes to car insurance claims and customer service. So when you call to make a claim on your main policy, their experts will go through how it all works with you, and make sure you don't hit any bumps along the way.
Who to call
If you're claiming on your main car insurance policy
Call our 24-hour helpline on 0345 266 1602.
We may record or monitor your call for security reasons, and to help us improve our customer service. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobile.
If you're claiming on your RAC Breakdown Cover
|From the UK||0330 159 8485|
|From France and Monaco||From a landline (free): 0800 290 112
From a mobile: 00 33 472 43 52 55
|From the rest of Europe||From a landline: 00 33 472 43 52 55
From the Republic of Ireland: 1800 535 005
You'll need to replace the 00 at the beginning with 810 if you're in Belarus or Russia.
If you have hearing difficulties you can use a textphone to call by prefixing the number you need with 18001 for Typetalk. Or you can text 07855 828282.
If you're claiming on your Motor Legal Protection
- 0344 600 9022 for uninsured loss recovery and personal injury
- 0333 005 0349 quoting 'AUXSAINMLP16' for all other claims.
If you're claiming on your Key Protection
Please call our 24-hour helpline on 01737 344 254 with your fob number to hand.
If you're claiming on your Guaranteed Courtesy Car cover
Please call us on 0345 266 1620.
If you're claiming on your Windscreen Repair/Replace policy
Please call us on 0344 600 9022.
How to claim
- Before you call us, call the police to get a crime reference number if you're claiming for theft or vandalism – or you think dangerous driving, drink driving or an uninsured driver was to blame.
- Call us with your policy number to hand if you want to make a claim, or if something happens that you could claim for – even if you decide not to.
- We'll take all the details of why you're claiming and what happened – there are a few tips below on this for you. We may ask you to fill in a claim form if we need more details.
- We'll give you your claim number for next time you want to get in touch about your claim.
- If you're claiming for something that was your fault, we'll deal with it all there and then for you. So if your car needs repairs, we'll arrange them through one of our authorised repairers. And if you need a courtesy car, we'll get that sorted too.
- If you're claiming for something that wasn't your fault, we'll pass you directly to the insurer who manages your policy for you. They'll take over from there.
- We'll let you know about any excess you have to pay towards your claim.
What details to give us
- Your policy number
- Your crime reference number if you have one
- If you have an accident, take a look at our guide on what to do if you have an accident for a few tips and what details to jot down
- If you're claiming for something where someone else was involved, let us know if they admitted they were to blame
For RAC breakdown cover
You'll need these details to hand when you call us:
- The driver's name and phone number
- The make and model of the car
- The car's location
- Your credit card number – for Europe or other services
It's a good idea to check what's covered and how you're protected if you're not sure. That way, if you have an accident or your car gets damaged, you can see if we can help before you make a claim. Here are your documents:
Your Sainsbury's Bank Car Insurance policy booklet (PDF, 1.3MB)
Your Sainsbury's Bank Car Insurance policy booklet for our optional extras (PDF, 1.4MB) if you have an inception or renewal date before 1st January 2019
Your Sainsbury’s Bank Car Insurance policy booklet for our optional extras (PDF, 631KB) if you have an inception or renewal date after 1st January 2019
- Motor Legal Protection
- Key Cover
- Windscreen Cover (Third Party, Fire and Theft)
- Guaranteed Courtesy Car
- RAC Breakdown Cover