Usually the quickest and easiest way to get a refund is to go to the retailer first. For a holiday or trip, this may include the hotel, travel agent or airline. Or for an event this may be the events company or venue.
Holidays & Travel - if the government advises against travel to your destination, then it’s likely that your travel provider will cancel your trip and offer a refund or an alternative date/voucher. If your travel plans are still in place, but you no longer want to travel, we can’t raise a request for a refund for you. You’ll need to discuss whether a refund is possible direct with your travel provider. In many cases, travel is protected under industry schemes and you may be eligible for a refund.
Please wait for this to be processed within 14 days of cancellation. If the 14 day timeline has expired and you’ve not received a refund there are other possible routes for you to claim your money back.
If you paid for you holiday with your credit card, we may be able to raise a request for you. We may need you to provide information in writing about your booking before we process your request. Or you can submit a travel insurance claim.
You should look at the company’s website for more information on how to get a refund as most package holidays are covered by ATOL.
You should contact the retailer to check they are still processing your refund. Failing this, we may be able to raise a request for you to claim your money back through your credit card. We may need you to provide information in writing about your booking before we process your request.
collapsed What if I made my booking with a third party and not directly with the retailer? (For example a theatre ticket booking company)
If you’ve booked through a third party contact the company you booked with for more information on your options for a refund.
View our guide Your Credit Card statement explained (PDF, 138kb)
Understanding your account summary
Your account summary is in the right hand corner on page 1 of your credit card statement.
- Your 'Previous balance' is the closing balance from your last statement
- 'Payments and credits received' is the sum of any credits added to your account within the statement period. This includes payments you’ve made to your account and any refunds received
- 'New transactions & interest' is the sum of any new purchases, cash withdrawals, interest or balance transfers from other providers
- If you have a Direct Debit set up, the details of this will be shown under ‘Payment information’. The 'Direct Debit amount' will show the amount that’ll be collected on your payment due date
Understanding your fees and charges
The ‘Summary box’ on page 2 of your credit card statement contains information on any Fees, Charges or Default Charges you could be charged. This excludes interest.
Understanding your credit card transactions
‘Your credit card transactions’ on page 3 details all the transactions made on your card since your last statement. This includes payments and credits received as well as new purchases, transfers and interest.
Credit Card App
You'll be able to:
- See your balance
- View up to 6 months of transactions
- Pay your credit card bill
- Check your account summary
- Check your payment date
- Set up, view, change or cancel direct debits
You'll be able to:
- View your statements
- View your balance, transactions and payment due date
- Make payments
- Set up, view or change a direct debit
- Request a new credit limit and get an instant decision
- Request to add additional cardholders
- Switch to paperless statements
- Send us a secure message
collapsed If I buy foreign currency or traveller's cheques with my Sainsbury's Credit Card will I be charged a fee?
Foreign currency or traveller's cheques bought at any UK bureau de change are treated at the cash advance rate, see your terms and conditions for details. We won’t charge you a cash advance fee for Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Money.
Foreign currency and traveller’s cheques aren’t eligible for any Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Card Nectar points or cashback
Just get in touch with us and we’ll be able to link your Nectar card to your Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card.
You’ll collect up to 3 points per £1 spent on Sainsbury’s shopping, Argos, Habitat or Tu Clothing when you use your credit card and swipe or scan your Nectar card.**
You’ll collect 1 point for each full £5 spent everywhere else. Travel Money purchases are not eligible for points.**
Note that not all cards are eligible for points.
If you have a Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card then yes. With a Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Card you’ll collect up to 3 points per £1 spent on Sainsbury’s shopping, Argos, Habitat and Tu Clothing when you pay with the credit card and swipe or scan your Nectar card. And you’ll collect 1 Nectar point for every £5 you spend elsewhere. Note that not all cards are eligible for points.
There could be a number of reasons for this:
- Your Nectar card must be linked to your credit card
- You cannot earn Nectar points on balance transfers or cash withdrawals
- Not all cards are eligible for points
If you'd like to link your Nectar card to your Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card just get in touch.
With a Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Card you’ll collect up to 3 points per £1 spent on Sainsbury’s shopping, Argos, Habitat and Tu Clothing when you pay with the credit card and swipe or scan your Nectar card. And you’ll collect 1 Nectar point for every £5 you spend elsewhere. If you are already collecting points, you will continue to do so at the same rate subject to expiry of any introductory bonus period during which you may be collecting more points. Note that not all cards are eligible for points.
If you pay with your Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Card you’ll collect 2 points per £1 spent on Sainsbury’s fuel. This is on top of the points you collect if you swipe your Nectar card during the transaction. Note that not all cards are eligible for points.
There’s no end date for collecting Nectar points on your Sainsbury’s shopping. All you have to do is pay with your Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Card and you’ll collect up to 3 points per £1 spent on Sainsbury’s shopping, Argos, Habitat or Tu Clothing when you use your credit card and swipe or scan your Nectar card. Note that not all cards are eligible for points.
Points will be added to the Nectar card account you provided when you applied for your credit card. Nectar points may take up to six weeks to appear on your account.
There are limits to some of the other points offers and introductory offers on our credit cards. Call our credit card customer services on the number shown on the Get In Touch link opposite if you need any more information about these. You’ll collect up to 3 points per £1 spent on Sainsbury’s shopping, Argos, Habitat or Tu Clothing when you use your credit card and swipe or scan your Nectar card. And you’ll collect 1 Nectar point for every £5 you spend elsewhere.**
Note that not all cards are eligible for points.
1,000 Nectar points are worth £5.
As soon as you buy something using Chip & PIN, contactless will activate on your card.
Yes, the limit is £45. This isn’t set by us – it’s the current UK retailer’s limit. So it could change.
Yes, you can. As long as the place you’re buying from supports contactless, you can use it abroad, to the local currency’s equivalent value of £45.
Contactless payments can take up to four days to leave your account – the same as Chip and PIN payments.
Bear in mind that not all contactless card payments appear immediately on your online and mobile banking statements. If you can’t see a transaction, please wait a few days for it to be added to your statement.
No. Cash back isn’t available on contactless transactions. But if you wish to get cash back, you can still use your card’s Chip and PIN.
Contactless cards and devices have multiple layers of security to protect against fraud. And as they have the same protection as Chip & PIN payments, they’re safer than cash.
If someone makes several contactless payments in a row, they'll be asked to enter the card's PIN for security purposes. And contactless payments can only be made on single purchases up to the value of £45. To buy anything above that amount, the cardholder will be asked to make a Chip & PIN payment in the usual way.
If you’re registered for online banking then you can request a replacement credit card by:
- Logging in to your credit card account. Not already registered? Register here
- Select 'Account Details' for your credit card account
- Then select 'Request replacement card' from the list of links on the right hand side of the screen or at the bottom of the page if you’re using a mobile phone.
You’ll receive your new card within 5 working days.
Please note: If you’ve updated your home address in the last 2 months you can only request a PIN reminder by phoning us.
If you believe your card has been lost or stolen you should contact us right away on 0800 456 1232 or 00 44 131 549 8040 if you are abroad. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Be aware that calls may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under our quality control procedures. Calls to 0800 numbers are free from a landline and from a mobile when calling from the UK.
Mastercard® and VISA® now ask to pre-authorise a payment for £100 before you can fill up at self-service petrol pumps. This is to make sure you’ve enough money in your account to cover the cost of the fuel.
If you don’t have £100 available to spend, the maximum amount available will be authorised and you’ll only be able to fill up to this amount.
If the cost of the fuel is less than the pre-authorised amount, any unspent funds will be released.
The way you pay for fuel at a kiosk hasn’t changed.
- You can collect points by paying with your credit card.
- We’ll award 2 points for each full £1 spent at Sainsbury’s, Argos, Habitat and Tu Clothing in the UK.
- We’ll award 1 point for each full £5 spent everywhere else. This includes Argos eBay stores, Argos Clearance stores, Argos For Business, Argos Spares, Argos Financial Services, Sainsbury’s Bank, Sainsbury’s Energy, Sainsbury’s Cafes, Sainsbury’s e-Gift Cards and any other Sainsbury’s services.
- We don’t award points on Travel Money purchases.
- On each statement, we calculate the points due on each transaction separately, then total them up and add them to your Nectar account within 60 days.
- You can collect additional points from Nectar partners, including up to 1 point per £1 in Sainsbury’s, Argos, Habitat and Tu Clothing, by scanning your Nectar app or using your Nectar card at the time of the transaction. You can find details of their collection rates at nectar.com
- No cash alternative is available.
- We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
Credit available subject to status to UK residents aged 18 or over from Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Cards, PO Box 10592, WIGSTON, LE18 9GZ.
Back to top