Here’s how to keep your pets healthy and happy.
We’re here if you need us
If your cat or dog sadly passes away, you’ll at least have peace of mind you can afford to commemorate them properly.
We include cremation or cemetery burial cover as standard with all of our pet insurance policies, up to the value of £200.
If you take out a policy with us, you’ll also get:
- Access to our 24/7 Sainsbury’s Bank Vet Assistance helpline
- We’ll double Nectar points on all your Sainsbury’s fuel and shopping**
- Guaranteed discounts for Nectar members*
What you’re covered for
Our cover helps with the cost of cremation or cemetery burial for your pet. It pays out if they died or were put to sleep by a vet because of accidental injury or illness.
Cremation or cemetery burial cover
|Time limited £3,000||Lifetime £2,500||Lifetime £5,000||Lifetime £7,500||Lifetime £10,000||Maximum benefit £3,000||Maximum benefit £6,000|
|up to £200||up to £200||up to £200||up to £200||up to £200||up to £200||up to £200|
You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy documents.
What you’re not covered for
You can buy our pet insurance as soon as your cat or dog is eight weeks old.
There is no upper age limit on the cremation or cemetery burial cover if your pet dies from an accidental injury.
But there are limits if they die from an illness. The benefit covers cats until they reach their tenth birthday. For most dogs, cover extends to their eighth birthday, but for some breeds it’s their fifth birthday.
We won’t pay for cremation or burial costs if your pet dies from:
- Any illness or condition that you or a vet knew about before you bought your policy
- An accidental injury within three days of buying your policy
- Poisoning that happens within the first three days of your policy start date
- An illness – including its symptoms – that shows in the first 14 days of your policy
- Complications in pregnancy, giving birth or breeding
If your pet is put to sleep, we’ll pay so long as your vet confirms it was not humane to keep your cat or dog alive. If you would like to speak to someone about the loss of your pet, you can give Sainsbury’s Bank Vet Assistance a call on 0303 334 0796. Vet Assistance is a 24/7 vet advice helpline where pet insurance customers can speak to qualified vet nurses. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.
There are some breeds that we won't cover under our £10,000 limit which you can find details of in our FAQ section. Please note that we won't cover any pre-existing conditions and that terms, conditions, excesses and exclusions and limitations apply. You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy documents.
How to claim for cremation or burial costs
Call our claims team on 0344 543 1032 and they’ll send you a claim form to complete.
When claiming for cremation or cemetery burial costs, you’ll need to provide receipts detailing what you spent.
It’s bound to be a difficult time. 95% of claims paid within 5 days ^based on 2019 data for policies arranged by Pinnacle Insurance Ltd.^
Handy guides for pet owners
For everything you need to know about pets, browse our series of helpful guides.
Our FAQs have got all the answers to the most popular questions our pet owners ask. They’re an excellent place to start if you’re looking for more information.Explore our FAQs
Get in touch
We’re here Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles and may be monitored and recorded.
* Guaranteed discount for Nectar card holders: The discount is based on information related to you and the transactions you've made with Sainsbury's supermarkets and Sainsbury's Bank using your Nectar card. For more information go to sainsburysbank.co.uk/nectar.
** Double Nectar points
1. Only available to customers buying a new Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance policy
2. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply, and use this card with each Sainsbury's purchase
3. Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us
4. Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums
5. Each Nectar account can only collect points from one pet insurance policy
6. It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service
7. By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points
8. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available
9. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice
^ Based on claims paid in 2019 by Pinnacle Insurance plc.
Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register no. 184514). Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc.
Sainsbury's Bank plc acts as an introducer to Pinnacle Insurance plc who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register number 110866). Registered Office: Pinnacle House, A1 Barnet Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2XX. Sainsbury’s Bank plc and Pinnacle Insurance plc are not part of the same corporate group.