What is cruise travel insurance?
Whether you’re cruising around the world or setting sail across the Med, cruise holidays are great for soaking up plenty of sun, sights and culture. But it’s important to have the right travel insurance in place, just in case something happens while you’re at sea.
Most travel insurance plans don’t cover the types of activities and risks associated with cruises. These can include itinerary issues, such as missing a scheduled port stop or missing out on a planned excursion due to injury or illness.
Why choose Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance?
With our travel insurance and cruise cover you’ll get:
- Up to 20% off if you’re a Nectar member*
- Access to a 24-hour helpline in case of medical emergencies while you’re away
- Compensation if your cruise ship can’t make a scheduled port stop
- A choice between three levels of cover – Silver, Gold and Platinum
How does cruise holiday insurance work?
Only available on our Single Trip policies, it’s easy to add before you get a quote. Just let us know at the start of your online or phone application that you need it.
We’ll tailor your plan based on how long you’re going for and the countries you’re visiting. It’s also important you let us know about any pre-existing medical conditions. If you don’t, future claims may be rejected, and payouts reduced.
Rates and cover limits vary by policy.
Cruise with confidence
When you choose Sainsbury’s Bank travel insurance and include cruise cover, you can relax knowing we have you covered.
What else is included in our cruise cover?
We offer three levels of Single Trip insurance – Silver, Gold and Platinum. And once you’ve added cruise cover, you’ll also get the following:
|Missed port||£50 per port up to £500||£75 per port up to £750||£100 per port up to £1,000|
|Cabin confinement||£50 per 24 hours up to £250||£75 per 24 hours up to £375||£100 per 24 hours up to £500|
|Increased personal baggage limits||£2,500||£3,000||£3,500|
Please see our policy documents for more information about what’s included in our Single Trip policy. Limits and excesses may apply.
Making a claim
To make a cruise travel insurance claim you must provide us with, where appropriate:
- The tour operator’s booking invoice or other evidence of your trip
- Confirmation of confinement to your cabin by the ship’s medical officer due to a medical condition
- Written confirmation from the cruise operator or tour operator stating the reason and number of missed ports
Need to talk to us?
If you have questions about our cruise cover, or anything else related to our travel insurance, get in touch with our friendly team.
Call 0345 305 2621.
Sales and service lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Closed weekend and Bank Holidays. Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.
* Up to 20% discount applies when you tell us your Nectar card number. Discount does not apply to the premiums for pre-existing medical conditions or enhanced gadget cover. You won't be eligible if you buy through a price comparison website. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE) a German insurance company. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ, company number SE000083. Authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority: register number 769884. Details about the extent of GLISE’s authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from the insurer on request.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 52/54 Alexandra Street, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 1BJ. Hood Travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer.