Single trip cover is a great option if you're planning just one trip away
What is medical cover?
Let’s be honest, when you’re relaxing on holiday, the last thing on your mind is falling ill or getting injured. Sadly, accidents can happen and it’s important you have the right travel insurance. That’s why we include medical cover as standard with all our travel insurance policies. It can help pay medical bills if something goes wrong while you’re abroad.
With Sainsbury Bank Travel Insurance, you’ll also get:
- A discount of up to 20% if you’re a Nectar member*
- Double Nectar points on your Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel if you buy an annual-multi-trip policy†
- Access to a 24-hour helpline for medical emergencies while you’re away
- Unlimited medical expenses with single trip and annual multi-trip policies when you choose Platinum cover
Travel insurance to suit your needs
Medical costs vary from country to country and can be surprisingly expensive. Having a policy with medical insurance as standard, whether you’re travelling to Europe or beyond can help manage that expense.
We offer three levels of cover – Silver, Gold and Platinum:
The cover limits shown in the tables below apply to single trip and annual multi trip policies. Excesses may apply; please see the policy booklet for full details.
|Key Benefits||Silver Cover (up to)||Gold Cover (up to)||Platinum Cover (up to)|
|Medical emergency expenses||£10 million||£15 million||unlimited|
|Cancellation or cutting short your trip||£3,000||£5,000||£7,500|
|End supplier failure||-||£2,500||£2,500|
Covid-19 cover is included as standard on all of our policies. Don’t forget to check the latest Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and local government travel advice before you go. You won’t be covered if you travel against it.
For full details of the Covid-19 cover provided on new and existing policies take a look at our policy booklet.
|Covid-19 Cover||Silver (up to)||Gold (up to)||Platinum (up to)|
|Medical emergency and repatriation expenses||£10 million||£15 million||Unlimited|
|Cancellation or cutting short your trip||£3,000||£5,000||£7,500|
How does holiday medical insurance work?
Our travel insurance policies cover a wide range of medical expenses, including emergency dental treatment and hospital visits**. This allows you to enjoy your holiday knowing everything is taken care of.
Make sure you buy travel insurance before you leave for your trip. Once you’ve got your policy, you’ll be covered for eligible illnesses and injuries that happen after the policy start date.
If a medical incident happens, and you’re eligible to claim, hold on to all original receipts, invoices, medical reports or other evidence to help your claim. Contact our Medical Assistance Helpline as soon as something goes wrong to authorise any expenses.
Do you have a pre-existing medical condition?
If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, it’s important to let us know. Our insurance can be tailored to cover a wide range of conditions, including epilepsy, diabetes, heart conditions, high blood pressure and asthma.
A pre-existing medical condition could be an injury, illness, disease or other medical condition that exists before your policy starts.
How to tell us
It’s easy to let us know about a pre-existing medical condition. Before you get a quote, you’ll be asked to complete a quick medical screening, either online or by phone. It’ll make sure you have the right cover in place.
If you’ve declared the condition prior to getting a quote and fall ill or get injured while away, we’ll help cover costs of emergency treatment for your condition or any related issues. If a pre-existing medical condition is not officially declared, claims may be rejected, or payment could be reduced.
Letting us know about medical treatment abroad
If you have an emergency or need medical treatment abroad, call our Medical Assistance Helpline as soon as you can:
The Medical Assistance team will:
- Confirm that you’re in a safe place
- Find the best local treatment available to you
- Consider your health and best interests
- Make sure the necessary medical fees are guaranteed where cover is provided by your policy
We can’t cover any costs over £500 if you haven’t agreed treatment with the Medical Assistance Helpline.
You should then contact the Sainsbury's Travel Insurance Assistance Centre:
Try to make sure you get in touch within 48 hours if:
- You have to stay in a hospital
- Your medical expenses are likely to be more than £500
Be sure to get any medical certificates showing the nature of the injury or sickness. Without them, it will make processing a claim difficult.
You may also need to provide hospital, doctor, dentist or pharmacist receipts as well as all receipts for any additional, related expenses.Get a quote
Which policy could I get?
Not sure which cover’s right for you? If you’re planning a single holiday or have a few trips booked this year, we have a policy to suit you.
Helpful travel guides
Find lots of useful information to help when you’re travelling abroad.
Get in touch with our friendly team to speak about our travel insurance policies.
Call 0345 305 2621.
Sales and service lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Closed weekend and Bank Holidays. Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.
* Up to 20% discount applies when you tell us your Nectar card number. Discount does not apply to premiums for pre-existing medical conditions or enhanced gadget cover. You won't be eligible if you buy through a price comparison website. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
**Dependent on your medical screening. Claims for incidents affected by a plan holder’s use of drink or recreational drugs may be invalidated.
† Double Nectar points
1. Only available to customers buying a Sainsbury's Bank Annual Travel Insurance policy
2. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase
3. Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us
4. Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums
5. Each Nectar account can only collect points from one travel insurance policy
6. It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service
7. By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points
8. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available
9. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice
^ Telephone calls may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under our quality control procedures.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE) a German insurance company. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ, company number SE000083. Authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority: register number 769884. Details about the extent of GLISE’s authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from the insurer on request.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 1st Floor Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 2JY. Hood travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer.