Make sure you’re ready for your new puppy with our go-to guide
Puppy protection from the get-go
Bringing a new puppy into your life is an exciting time filled with lots of love and laughter. And like all new puppy parents, you don’t want to think about your little bundle of joy ever being injured or ill.
But if the worst should ever happen, we’ll have your back. With pet insurance for puppies available from just eight weeks old, we’ll give you the peace of mind you need.
Why choose our pet insurance for your puppy?
- Choose from time limited or three levels of lifetime cover
- Get 24/7 Vet Assistance, whenever, wherever you need it
- Make claims and some changes to your details quickly and simply
- Get your hands on extra discounts when you are a Nectar member*
- We'll double your Nectar points on your Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel**
- Insure more than one pet on one policy and save £1 per pet per month†
What your puppy is covered for
If your new puppy gets injured or falls ill, an unexpected trip to the vet can be super stressful – and could set you back a lot of money.
Please don’t take the risk. With all our pet insurance products, we’ll help cover the cost of your vet fees, including dental treatment (excludes routine dental treatment, terms and conditions apply) and physiotherapy. The limits shown below and in your certificate of insurance.
We’ll also reimburse you if your new puppy is stolen or goes missing, or if your pup accidentally injures someone or damages their property. Please remember you will only be covered if your dog is microchipped.
|Description||Cover for 12 months or up to max amount below each year
|Covers up to max amount each year
|Treatment period||12 months||unlimited|
|Treatment basis||per condition||per year|
|Benefit||Time limited £3,000||Lifetime up to £7,500|
|Dental cover (excludes routine dental treatment, terms and conditions apply)||up to £3,000||Up to £7,500|
|Complementary Treatment||£500||up to £1,500|
|Physiotherapy||£500||up to £1,500|
|Behavioural illnesses (excludes the cost of any damage to your home)||up to £3,000||up to £7,500|
|Overseas veterinary treatment||up to £3,000||up to £7,500|
|3rd party liability (dogs only)||£2 million||£2 million|
|Death from accident/injury||£1,000||£1,500|
|Death from illness||£1,000||£1,500|
|Advertising & reward (local advertising only. Your dog must be microchipped)||£1,000||£1,500|
|Theft or straying (Your dog must be microchipped)||£1,000||£1,500|
|Emergency boarding kennel fees||£1,000||£1,500|
Please note that we won't cover the cost of any pre-existing conditions and that terms, conditions, excesses, exclusions and limitations apply. You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy documents.
What cover’s right for your puppy?
Time limited or lifetime? The pet insurance product and level of cover you choose is completely up to you – it all depends on your circumstances and puppy’s needs.
With our most comprehensive pet insurance, your puppy is covered up to the maximum benefit shown in the table above each year. You can claim up to that amount, for any condition, every year of their life.Find out more about lifetime cover
Time Limited Cover
With time limited cover, each condition is covered for 12 months or until the maximum benefit is paid for that condition – whichever comes first.Find out more about time limited cover
From what age can I insure my puppy?
You can take out a pet insurance policy with us as soon as your puppy is eight weeks old.
You can then cover your puppy up to any age, as long as you keep renewing your policy every year without a break.
Helpful guides for your puppy
Get a little help welcoming your puppy into your world with our handy guides and information.
Ready to protect your puppy?
If you’d like to get a quote for your pet insurance, you can get started right away. If you’re ready, we’re ready.Find out more
Got more than one pet?
If you’re adding your puppy to a growing pet pack, you can save at £1 per pet per month with our multi-pet insurance. You can insure an unlimited number of pets on one policy. Protect more. Save more.Insure multiple pets
If you’ve got a question about protecting your puppy, or pet insurance in general, we have the answer for you.See our FAQs
Need to talk to us?
Call 0344 543 1032
We’re here Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles and may be monitored and recorded.
*Guaranteed discount for Nectar card holders: The discount is based on information related to you and the transactions you've made with Sainsbury's supermarkets and Sainsbury's Bank using your Nectar card. For more information go to sainsburysbank.co.uk/nectar.
**Double Nectar points.
1) Only available to customers buying a new Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance policy.
2) You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase.
3) Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us.
4) Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums.
5) Each Nectar account can only collect points from one pet insurance policy.
6) It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service.
7) By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points.
8) Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available.
9) We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
†Multi-pet discount is a minimum of £24 when insuring more than one pet as this is worked out at £1 per pet per month for each pet on a policy. Pets can have different cover levels and optional extras. Discount deducted separately from any other offer.
Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register no. 184514). Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc.
Sainsbury's Bank plc acts as an introducer to Pinnacle Insurance plc who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register number 110866). Registered Office: Pinnacle House, A1 Barnet Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2XX. Sainsbury’s Bank plc and Pinnacle Insurance plc are not part of the same corporate group.