Skip to content

Guide to European travel insurance

Be covered wherever your European adventure takes you

Retrieve saved details
Underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE


Get ready for your trip

Travelling to Europe? Whether you’re off for a quick city break or a relaxing beach holiday, it’s a good idea to invest in travel insurance.

No one likes to think of the worst case scenario while planning the perfect trip, but sometimes it happens. Flights can be delayed, luggage goes missing, and people fall ill. With Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance, we’ve got you covered, should anything like this happen to you.

Do you need travel insurance in Europe?

Yes, it’s a good idea to take out travel insurance for trips to European destinations. While it may feel like you’re not travelling too far from home, if anything unexpected happens you might end up out of pocket.

European holiday insurance will give you peace of mind should anything unexpected happen. It can help cover medical bills and the price of replacing lost items, such as mobile phones – depending on what type of policy you choose.

The GHIC scheme

UK residents may be entitled to apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). This covers state-provided, medically necessary, healthcare at a low cost or free of charge when you're traveling in an EU country.

The GHIC is a replacement for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Still got your EHIC? You can use your valid EHIC card until it expires. Then you can apply for your new GHIC.

Ready to apply? You’re eligible for the GHIC scheme if you’re a UK resident. There are a few exceptions. For more information, or to apply, visit the NHS website.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the GHIC isn’t a replacement for European holiday insurance. Although it includes cover for chronic or pre-existing medical conditions. It also doesn’t cover certain costs, such as help to get back home after a medical emergency, in the same way that holiday travel insurance would.

Remember, each country in Europe has a different healthcare system. That means the level of care may not be the same as you’d receive free of charge at home on the NHS. With a GHIC, and no travel insurance, you'll have to pay for any health care out of your own pocket. The GHIC card is only valid in EU countries and Switzerland.

Do you need travel insurance for the UK?

What about if you’re enjoying a staycation – do you still need to buy travel insurance? It could be a very good idea to do so, as you'd be still be covered for cancellation and loss/theft of money and gadgets. We offer both single trip and annual multi-trip policies for holidays within the UK only.

Types of European travel insurance

We offer three different travel insurance policies. What you need will depend on your holiday plans. And remember, if you’re staying within the UK it’s a choice between single trip and annual multi-trip.

Single Trip

Planning one special holiday somewhere in Europe? Consider our Single Trip policy

Annual Multi-trip

Ticking a few European countries off your bucket list? Our Multi-trip policy might work best

Extended trip

Heading off on an extended trip around Europe? Get up to 548 days cover, depending on the level of cover you choose

Why choose Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance?

We offer Silver, Gold and Platinum level cover for all our travel insurance policies, whether you’re holidaying in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Policy limits, excesses and exclusions apply, please see the policy summary for full details.

Single Trip & Annual Multi-trip

Key benefits Silver Cover (up to) Gold Cover (up to) Platinum Cover (up to)
Medical emergency expenses £10 million £15 million unlimited
Cancellation or cutting short your trip £3,000 £5,000 £7,500
Personal baggage £1,250 £2,000 £3,000
Personal accident - £25,000 £50,000
Gadget cover £500 £750 £750
Personal money £400 £500 £750
Mugging cover - £250 £500
End supplier failure - £2,500 £2,500


Extended Trip

Key benefits Silver Cover (up to) Gold Cover (up to)

Platinum Cover (up to)

Medical emergency expenses £10 million £12.5 million £15 million
Cancellation or cutting short your trip £1,000 £3,000 £5,000
Personal baggage £1,000 £1,500 £2,000
Personal accident - £10,000 £15,000
Personal money £200 £300 £500
Scheduled airline failure - £2,500 £2,500
Winter sports cover (optional extra) £500 £750 £1,000


Ready to get European travel insurance?

Wherever you’re off to, make sure you’ve got the right travel insurance in place before you go. Find out more about the countries we cover and get a quote for your European travel cover online today.


Flying with children

Off on a family holiday? We’ve covered everything you need to know about flying with children

Travel disruption

What to do if your flight's delayed, cancelled or overbooked

Go global

Decided to venture a little further afield? Check out our guide to worldwide travel insurance

Any questions?

Check out our FAQs about travel insurance. If you still need to talk to us, our friendly team will be happy to help.

Call 0345 305 2621.

Sales and service lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Closed weekend and Bank Holidays. Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.

Helpful phone numbers.

Terms and conditions

Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.

Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 2nd Floor, Decora Court, Tylers Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 2BB.