Skip to content
Travel insurance with gadget cover

Travel insurance with gadget cover

Cover for your camera, laptop and phone when you're abroad

Underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited

Gadget and mobile cover abroad

From mobile phones and tablets to smart watches and eBooks, high-tech gadgets are the go-to holiday essentials when you’re travelling abroad. And if they’re ever lost, stolen or damaged, you don’t want to have the added stress and cost of replacing them.

With Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance, there’s no need to worry. Our single trip and annual travel insurance includes gadget cover as standard – so you can scroll till your heart’s content knowing we’ve got your back.

What’s covered

Our Silver, Gold and Platinum travel insurance policies include mobile phone and gadget cover for when you’re abroad.

That means we’ll pay the repair or replacement costs if your phone or gadget is lost, stolen or damaged abroad. As there are limits to the cover we may not pay the full amount out depending on the cost of the gadget.

You can choose even more protection by adding our enhanced gadget cover for an extra cost.

We’ve outlined the different levels of cover below and what amounts you’re covered for.

Standard gadget cover

Cover Silver

(maximum sum insured)


(maximum sum insured)


(maximum sum insured)

Accidental or malicious damage, loss and theft £500 £750 £750


Optional enhanced gadget cover

Cover Silver

(maximum sum insured)


(maximum sum insured)


(maximum sum insured)

Accidental or malicious damage, loss and theft £1,000 £2,000 £3,000


Terms, conditions, excesses, exclusions and limitations apply. You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy booklet.


Camera travel insurance

For many, your cameras are your babies, your pride and joy. You need to give them the protection they deserve. That’s why our cover includes your camera, video camera and your lenses. That leaves you free to enjoy taking the pictures of your life, without worrying about your expensive equipment.

Laptop travel insurance

We’ve got you covered for travel insurance that covers your laptop and camera, along with many other gadgets for when you’re abroad. So there’s no need to wait until you get home to edit your holiday snaps.

What gadgets are covered when you’re abroad?

When you’re abroad we’ll cover any of the gadgets listed below if they’re lost, damaged or stolen:

  • Mobile phones
  • Tablets and laptops
  • Digital cameras, video cameras, camera lenses
  • Earphones, headphones and bluetooth headsets
  • E-readers
  • Games consoles
  • Satellite navigation devices
  • Wearable technology such as smart watches or health and fitness trackers

You need to give us proof that you own the gadget when you submit a claim – for example the original receipt. If you bought it second-hand or got it as a gift, you’ll also need a signed letter from the original owner, along with the original purchase receipt confirming that it’s yours.

This letter should include:

  • IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) (where applicable)
  • Serial number, make and model of your gadget

If certain parts of your gadget have been stolen or damaged, we’ll only repair or replace those specific parts.

Don’t see your gadget listed above? Get in touch to double check if it’s covered by your policy.

What’s not covered

You’ll find a full list of our conditions in our policy document. But to give you an idea, your phone or gadget won’t be covered if:

  • The loss or theft isn’t reported to the police within 24 hours of discovering the incident, with an accompanying police crime reference number
  • The damage happened before you went on your trip
  • You can’t confirm when and where it was lost, stolen or damaged
  • Your device was in the possession of a third party other than a relative
  • Your device needs repaired as a result of misuse or wear and tear
  • The damage is cosmetic only and has no effect on its functionality

Making a claim

You should first contact the appropriate local police authority within 24 hours of your gadget being lost or stolen.

If your mobile phone or other SIM-enabled device is lost or stolen, you’ll also need to report it to your network provider.

When it comes to making your claim, simply follow the instructions and provide any applicable supporting documentation, such as:

  • Police crime reference number (if applicable)
  • Proof that your phone’s identification number (IMEI) has been blacklisted (if applicable)
  • Proof of reported theft or loss
  • Proof of violent and forcible entry (if applicable)
  • Proof of travel dates

Get gadget cover for your trip abroad

With cover for lost, stolen and damaged gadgets, we’ll have your back – wherever you are in the world.

Helpful travel guides

Get all the advice and information you need with our handy travel guides.

Dealing with disruption

Dealing with disruption

See what you’re entitled to if your travel is delayed or cancelled

Keep your money safe

Keep your money safe

Practical tips to look after money, cards and valuable items abroad

Losing documents abroad

Losing documents abroad

Find out what to do if your important documents go astray while you're away

Questions about travel insurance with gadget cover?

Gadgets, phones, cameras, laptops and any other devices that are valuable to you are important to us. If you need us, we’re here. Check out our most frequently asked questions about travel insurance. If you still need to talk to us, our friendly team will be happy to help.

Call 0345 305 2621.

Sales and service lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Closed weekend and Bank Holidays. Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.

Helpful phone numbers.

Terms and conditions

* Up to 20% discount applies when you tell us your Nectar card number. Discount does not apply to premiums for pre-existing medical conditions or enhanced gadget cover. You won't be eligible if you buy through a price comparison website. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.

Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting;

Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 52/54 Alexandra Street, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 1BJ. Hood Travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer.

Section 14 (Gadget Cover) is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. The cover is arranged and claims administered by Taurus Insurance Services Limited (Taurus). Taurus is an insurance intermediary licensed and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830. GLISE, UK Branch, is authorised by BaFin and subject to limited regulation by the FCA and PRA: registration number 769884.