What to do if your flight to the slopes is delayed or cancelled.
We’re here if it all goes downhill
Whether you’re an avid snowboarder or planning your first ski trip to the Alps, make sure you’re protected with our winter sports cover add-on.
We can help cover the costs of medical emergencies, piste closure and lost or damaged snow sports equipment. With Sainsbury’s Bank, you’ll have peace of mind that you could be covered if your alpine adventure takes a wrong turn down a slippery slope.
How does winter sports insurance cover work?
With Sainsbury’s Bank, you can add it on to your travel insurance policy to cover most winter sports activities.
So, whether you’re zooming down the slopes or enjoying après ski, your winter travel insurance will include cover for:
- Medical emergencies
- Cancellation or having to cut your trip short
- Lost, damaged or stolen baggage
Our winter sports cover also has a range of benefits to protect you and your equipment. This includes cover for:
- Lost, stolen or damaged snow sports equipment
- Hiring replacement equipment if yours is lost, damaged or delayed
- Your unused equipment hire or tuition fees if you’re sick or have an accident
- Your ski pass if it’s lost or stolen
- Extra transport or accommodation in the event of an avalanche or landslide at your resort
- Physiotherapy treatment when you return to the UK if you’ve had an accident
- Compensation if the slopes in your resort are closed due to weather conditions
Winter sports cover policy limits
With Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance, you can choose from three levels of cover – Silver, Gold and Platinum.
If your claim is successful, we’ll pay you up to the amount shown below.
Terms, conditions, excesses and limitations apply. You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy booklet.
(maximum sum insured)
(maximum sum insured)
(maximum sum insured)
|Lost, stolen or damaged winter sports equipment||£500||£750||£1,000|
|Replacement hire of lost, stolen or damaged equipment||£300||£350||£400|
|Equipment hire if yours is delayed||£20 per day up to £300||£30 per day up to £300||£50 per day up to £300|
|Unused ski pack, ski hire or tuition fees||£20 per day up to £400||£30 per day up to £400||£50 per day up to £400|
|Piste closure||£30 per day up to £400||£30 per day up to £400||£50 per day up to £400|
|Avalanche and landslide closure||£15 per day up to £250||£20 per day up to £400||£25 per day up to £500|
|Physiotherapy in the UK||£150||£350||£500|
While we’ll do what we can to give you complete protection, it’s important to remember that no insurance policy covers everything.
For example , even with the winter sports add-on, our insurance does not cover:
- Anyone older than 66 years of age
- Any claim as a result of off-piste skiing where you’re not accompanied by a qualified instructor with appropriate liability insurance
- Any claim as a result of taking part in winter sports activities during avalanche warnings
- Damage to winter sports equipment caused by normal wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Loss or theft of winter sports equipment or ski passes left unattended in a public place
- Loss or theft of winter sports equipment or ski passes that was not reported to the police as soon as possible
What winter sports are covered?
Need off-piste ski insurance or snowboarding insurance? You’ve come to the right place. We can protect when you’re taking part in the following winter sports:
- On-piste skiing or snowboarding
- Off-piste skiing or snowboarding where you’re accompanied by an insured instructor
- Cross-country skiing on recognised routes and with a guide
- Ski racing arranged by ski schools for pupils
Are any snow sports not covered?
There are some riskier winter activities that we don’t cover. These include:
- Ice hockey
- Ski acrobatics
- Ski jumping
- Skeleton sledding
Don’t see your planned winter sports activity listed? Not to worry. Give our customer helpline a call on 0345 305 2622^ to see if it’s covered by your policy.
Planning more than one trip?
If you’re a regular on the slopes, you may be better off taking out our Annual Multi-trip travel insurance.
You’ll be covered up to a maximum of 24 days a year for winter sports and could save time and money, rather than buying a policy for each trip.
Get a travel insurance quote
Ready to get your ski holiday insurance? With our optional winter sports cover, you can focus on enjoying your adrenaline-fuelled adventure.
And with up to 20% off for Nectar members*, you’ll get peace of mind and protection for less.Get a quote
Helpful travel guides
Whether you’re going on a family ski trip with the kids or an epic solo snowboarding adventure, check out our useful travel guides.
Check out our most frequently asked questions about travel insurance. If you still need to talk to us, our friendly team will be happy to help.
Call 0345 305 2621^
^Sales and service lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Closed weekend and Bank Holidays. Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.
*Up to 20% discount applies when you tell us your Nectar card number. Discount does not apply to the premiums for pre-existing medical conditions or enhanced gadget cover. You won't be eligible if you buy through a price comparison website. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 52/54 Alexandra Street, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 1BJ. Hood Travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer.