Skip to content
Car Insurance Customer Support

Car Insurance Customer Support

Frequently asked questions

Find the answer to your query here.

  • General queries
  • What do we cover?
  • Payment options
  • Customer Care

General queries

How do I get my Certificate of Motor Insurance?

We’ll post it to you when you take out a new policy with us, or renew an existing policy.

Who provides Sainsbury’s Bank Car Insurance?

Your policy will be arranged and administered by esure Insurance Limited who are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. esure Insurance Limited are entered in the Financial Services Register, number 203350.

What do we cover?

Can I cover a personally imported car?

Yes, but only if the car is, or has been, available as a standard production model in the UK and has a UK registration number. We don’t cover Japanese imports.

What can I use my car for?

Depending on your cover, you can use your car for; social, domestic and pleasure purposes, commuting to and from a permanent place of work and personal business use for you and your spouse or partner, if they’re named on the policy. To confirm what you are covered for check your Certificate of Motor Insurance, Section 6: Limitations as to use.

You’re not covered for commercial travelling, any purpose in connection with the motor trade, carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward, racing, pacemaking, speed testing, rallies, trials or competitions.

If you want any other people to use your car for business purposes, call us on 0800 032 0315. We’re open Monday to Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 10am-2pm. Calls may be recorded and are free from a landline only.

Does your policy cover me to drive other cars?

This depends on your occupation and your age. Check your certificate of insurance to see if you have this cover.

If you are eligible and have comprehensive cover you’ll be covered on a third party only basis when you drive another car that isn’t owned by you or rented.

Am I covered when I drive abroad?

Your policy covers you when you’re in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, and during sea journeys between these places.

It also provides the MINIMUM cover you need by law to use your car in the European Union and any other country where arrangements have been made to meet the requirements of EC Directives on insurance.

This will provide less cover than you have at home.

If you need an international motor insurance certificate (Green Card), call us on 0345 609 2573. Calls may be recorded. We’ll charge an administration fee for this.

Details of our fees can be found in your Policy Schedule for policies renewed before 5th November 2016. For policies renewed on or after this date please refer to Your Agreement with esure Services Limited for details of fees chargeable by esure Services Limited in relation to your policy.

What is protected no claim discount for life?

Protected no claim discount for life guarantees that you’ll not lose your no claim discount for the life of your policy, no matter how many claims you make. You may be able to add it for an additional premium at renewal if you have at least four years’ no claim discount.

No claim discount protection for life can only be added to your policy at the start of the period of cover, and relates to your no claim discount only. It doesn’t protect you against any other changes in your premium.

Payment options

How can I pay for my Sainsbury's Bank Car Insurance policy?

There are three ways you can pay:

  • By credit or debit card — we accept Visa, MasterCard, Delta and Maestro
  • By Direct Debit — spread your payments over the year. You’ll need to pay two months premium upfront and the rest over the next 10 months. You’ll need to pay interest at the rate shown in your quotation
  • Online — with your card using our secure service

Customer Care

What if I’m not satisfied with Sainsbury's Bank Car Insurance?

We always try provide a first class service but recognise that sometimes you might feel we haven’t done this. If you aren’t satisfied please get in touch with us right away. We usually find that we’re able to help you with just a simple phone call.

In the first instance, please call us.

If it is about our customer service:
Call 0345 608 6034

If it is about your claim:
Call 0345 608 6027

Calls may be recorded.

If you’re still not happy, you can make a formal complaint. Find out about our complaints procedure.