Buying Bulgarian Lev online means you can place your order anytime, whether you’re at home, at work or on the go
Travel Money – Bulgarian Lev Exchange Rate
Convert GBP to Bulgarian Lev
With its beautiful Black Sea coast and ancient cities crammed with culture, budget-friendly Bulgaria is becoming one of the most popular destinations in Europe.
Whether you’re putting your feet up in Sunny Beach or hitting the slopes in Bansko, it’s worth sorting your travel money before you go.
Why buy Bulgarian Lev from us?
- Better rates for Nectar members*
- 0% commission on all foreign currencies
- Order online for collection at an instore bureau
- FREE home delivery on cash orders of £500 or more**
How many Bulgarian Lev will I get when I covert my Pounds?
Want to know exactly how much you’ll get for your money? Use our online currency converter to convert Pounds to Bulgarian Lev.
Rates may vary depending on whether you buy in store or online.
Where to buy Bulgarian Lev
We think buying travel money should be simple. That’s why you can order online from anywhere, at a time that suits you.
Can I convert Bulgarian Lev to Pounds?
Bulgaria is one of the best-value holiday destinations in Europe – so don’t be too surprised if you come home with some leftover Lev.
We buy back most foreign currency notes in denominations we sell and we’ll convert to GBP for you (buy back rates vary daily). Simply bring it to one of our in-store bureaux.
Bulgarian currency and typical costs
- The Lev is the official currency of Bulgaria and is only used there
- The Bulgarian Lev currency code is BGN and the currency symbol is лв, although it’s also commonly abbreviated as Lv
- In its current form, the Lev was introduced in 1999 – but it has been around since 1880
- Bulgarian Lev notes come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 leva (but the 1 and 2 notes are rarely used now)^
- Coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 stotinki and 1 and 2 leva^
- The Bulgarian Lev exchange rate is pegged to the Euro, meaning the cost of the currency rises and falls as the Euro does
^ Please note we don't buy or sell foreign currency coins.
With affordable hotels and resorts as well as cheap food and drink, you can enjoy a sunshine holiday in Bulgaria without breaking the bank.
We’ve scoured the internet to review Bulgarian Lev prices and see how far your money will go. Lonely Planet have done the sums and worked out what you’ll pay on average:
- Public transport: Between BGN 1 to 2
- Meals from cafeterias: BGN 5 to 10
- Meal in a mid-range quality restaurant: BGN 20 to 30
- Three-course meal with wine in a top-end restaurant: BGN 30 to 55
- Dorm bed in hostel: BGN 18 to 22
- Double room in a mid-range hotel: BGN 60 to 80
- Double room in top-end hotel: BGN 150 to 300
Not sure what these prices mean for your bank balance? Check out our currency converter to see how many Bulgarian Lev you can get for your Pounds.
(Cost estimates from Lonely Planet and Culture Trip, February 2021.)
Need a different currency?
Travel tools and guides for your trip to Bulgaria
Our handy guides are jam-packed with helpful information and advice for your Bulgarian travels.
Find the answers to some of the most common questions that customer ask us.
*Nectar members receive better exchange rates on single purchase transactions of all available foreign currencies. Excludes travel money card home delivery orders and online reloads. Exchange rates may vary depending on whether you buy in store or online.
You need to tell us your Nectar card number at the time of your transaction. No cash alternative is available. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
**You can order currency for a secure home delivery by 1pm on the day of your choice by Royal Mail (Mon- Sat). For next day delivery your order needs to be confirmed before 1.30pm (Mon- Fri). Please note that whilst Royal Mail make every effort to delivery on schedule, we cannot guarantee this as it is beyond our control. Highlands and Islands (including Channel Islands) are not guaranteed next day delivery. Delivery is free on all cash orders £500 or more (£4.99 for orders between £100 and £499.99). The minimum order for home delivery is £100. The delivery day quoted is dependent on the order day being a working day; if one of those days is a public holiday then additional day(s) will be added accordingly. All home delivery orders are sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery, unless we advise you otherwise, to your billing address, and a signature will be required upon delivery. A valid telephone number is required for home delivery.
Sainsbury's Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport™ Mastercard® is issued by PrePay Technologies Limited pursuant to license by Mastercard International. PrePay Technologies Limited is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (FRN: 900010) for the issuing of electronic money and payment instruments. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.