Learn more about life insurance and how it can help protect your loved ones.
What is life insurance?
The thought of not being around to protect and provide for your loved ones can be a worry. If you were no longer around, you’d want to make sure those you leave behind don’t face financial worries. That’s where life insurance can help. With a suitable policy you can rest easy knowing you’ve helped protect them if you die during the length of your policy. It's important to remember that these policies are not savings or investment policies and have no cash value unless a valid claim is made.
Choose the right life cover for you
Planning, preparing and protecting against some of life's curveballs makes the unexpected a little easier to cope with. Whether you want to use an over 50s policy to leave loved ones a small cash sum or take out a Life Insurance policy to help protect everyday expense, mortgage payments or childcare; there are a number of options to choose from. For more information about how life insurance works, take a look at our FAQs page
Why choose a life insurance policy through Sainsbury’s Bank?
Help protect the ones you love by minimising the financial impact death can cause. With Legal & General's life insurance policy, you’ll get:
- Protection by one of the UK’s largest life insurance providers, Legal & General
- We’ll double the Nectar points on your Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel ‡
- Discount on your Life Insurance or Decreasing Life Insurance premiums (with or without Critical Illness Cover) just for being a Nectar Member*
- Up to £110 of Nectar points if you purchase by 30/04/21 †. You'll receive your points within 60 days after you have paid 5 months
The number of Nectar points you receive depends on the type of policy and your monthly premium.
- If your monthly premium is under £8.50, we’ll give you 10,000 points (worth £50)
- If your monthly premium is £8.50-£20, we'll give you 16,000 points (worth £80)
- If your monthly premium is over £20, we'll give you 22,000 points (worth £110)
- We’ll give you 20,000 points (worth £100) when you take out any Over 50s life insurance policy*
You’ll receive your points within 60 days after you have paid five months’ premiums.
Helpful guides for life insurance
Our range of guides will help you understand everything you need to know when choosing your life insurance policy. Feel reassured that your cover could give your loved ones some financial peace of mind if the worst happens.
Find out what it means to get life insurance and how it could help your family. Compare life insurance policies.
Thinking of taking out a joint life insurance policy? Find out more about what it means to have a life cover policy for two people.
Offer Terms and Conditions
† Up to £110 of Nectar points
1. This offer is only available when you take out a new Life Insurance or Decreasing Life Insurance policy by 30/04/2021
2. After you’ve paid 5 months’ premiums, we'll give you: 22,000 points (worth £110) if your monthly premium is over £20, 16,000 points (worth £80) if your premium is £8.50 - £20.00 or 10,000 points (worth £50) if your premium is under £8.50
3. We'll add the points to your Nectar account within 60 days
4. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply
5. We'll award points on no more than 2 policies per household in any 12 month period
7. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available
8. Sainsbury’s Bank reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice
*Collect £100 of Nectar points - 1. This offer is only available when you take out a new over 50s life insurance policy. 2. After you've paid 5 months' premiums, we'll add 20,000 points to your Nectar account within 60 days. 3. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply. 4. We'll award points for no more than 2 polices per household in any 12 month period. 5. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available. 6. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
‡ Double Nectar points offer – 1. Offer available to customers buying a new life insurance, decreasing life insurance or over 50s life insurance policy. 2. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase. 3. Double points begin on your policy’s cover start date. If you tell us your Nectar card number after your cover start date, double points begin on the date you tell us. 4. Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums. 5. Each Nectar account can only collect points from one life insurance policy. 6. It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service. 7. By the 10th of each month, you’ll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points. 8. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available. 9. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
*Discount for Nectar members – Legal and General will automatically apply a discount to your quote(s) when you provide a valid Nectar card number, either online or over the phone to a call centre agent. The discount will not reduce the premium below the minimum of £5 per month.