Buying Thai Baht online means you can place your order when it suits you, whether you’re at home, at work or on the go
Travel Money – Thai Baht Exchange Rate
Convert British Pound to Thai Baht
From tropical beaches and Buddhist temples to mouth-watering food and floating markets, there’s so much to experience in Thailand.
Check the Thai Baht exchange rate today and get your travel money sorted before you leave. That way, you can enjoy the Land of Smiles from the get-go.
Why buy Thai Baht from us?
- Better rates for Nectar members*
- 0% commission on all foreign currencies
- Order online for collection at an instore bureau
- FREE home delivery on cash orders of £500 or more**
Thai Baht converter – how much will I get?
Check out our example below or use our currency converter to see the Thai Baht rate today.
Rates may vary depending on whether you buy in store or online.
How and where to buy Thai Baht
Can I sell my unused holiday money?
Yes, we’re happy to buy back Thai Baht from you. Just bring any unused notes to your local travel money bureau and we’ll convert your Thai Baht to pounds in no time.
In fact, we buy most foreign currency notes in denominations we sell (buy back rates vary daily).
Are you a Nectar member?
If you’re a Nectar member, you can get an even better exchange rate when you buy Thai Baht from us*.
It doesn’t matter whether you buy in store or online. All you have to do is tell us your Nectar account number when you buy.
Not a Nectar member? Just download the Nectar app or register at nectar.com.
Useful information about Thai Baht
Thai Baht facts and figures
- Thailand is the only country that uses the Thai Baht as the official currency
- The currency code for Thai Baht is THB and the currency symbol is ฿
- The Thai Baht is issued in 1, 2, 5 and 10 Baht coins and 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1,000 Baht notes^
- Each Baht is divided into 100 satang – although satang coins are rarely used^
- All Baht notes feature a picture of the king of Thailand. Older notes show the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej and newer notes, printed from 2018 onwards, feature King Maha Vajiralongkorn
- The Thai Baht was Sainsbury’s Bank’s ninth most popular currency in 2018
^ Please note we don't buy or sell foreign currency coins
Using your bank card in Thailand
While foreign credit and debit cards are now widely accepted in Thailand, there are still lots of places that only accept cash. If you’re taking your bank card with you, bear in mind that all Thai cash machines charge a foreign transaction fee of ฿220. That’s on top of any fees your own bank charges you for using your card abroad.
The cost of visiting Thailand
Thailand is renowned for being one of the most affordable destinations in the world. So how much Thai Baht do you need per day? Well, like any other country, it depends on what type of holiday you’re looking for.
Thailand is a popular backpacking destination, and if you’re on a budget, Lonely Planet reckons you’ll get a hostel anywhere in Thailand for ฿500.
Lonely Planet’s Thai money and costs guide estimates you’ll pay the following:
- ฿20–50 for public transport around town
- ฿40–100 for a market or street stall meal
- ฿100 for a small bottle of beer
- ฿350–1000 for a meal at a fine-dining restaurant
- ฿900 per day for car hire
- ฿1000–4000 for a mid-range hotel room and ฿4000 for a boutique hotel room
(Figures taken from lonelyplanet.com Feruary 2021)
Top Thai attractions
To help you make the most of your money, we’ve also looked at the prices of some of the most popular attractions in Thailand.
As of 4 February 2019, the admission prices of Trip Advisor travellers’ top attractions were:
- Big Buddha Phuket: free entry
- Elephant Rescue Park: ฿2500/5800 for 1/2 day tours
- Wat Pho (Wat Phra Chetuphon): ฿200 including a bottle of cold water
- BTS Skytrain: Fares start at ฿16 per stop with a one-day unlimited travel pass costing ฿140
- Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun): ฿50
Need a different currency?
Backpacking around the Far East? Or taking in a few different countries after your Thai travels? We sell over 50 different currencies.
With the Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport, you can carry up to 10 currencies every time you travel. Simply pre-load your card and top it up when you need to.^
Guides for travelling abroad
Our handy travel guides will provide you with top tips when travelling abroad.
We’ve got the answers to our customers’ most common questions about travel money.
*Nectar members receive better exchange rates on single purchase transactions of all available foreign currencies. Excludes travel money card home delivery orders and online reloads. Exchange rates may vary depending on whether you buy in store and online.
You need to tell us your Nectar card number at the time of your transaction. No cash alternative is available. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
**You can order currency for a secure home delivery by 1pm on the day of your choice by Royal Mail (Mon- Sat). For next day delivery your order needs to be confirmed before 1.30pm (Mon- Fri). Please note that whilst Royal Mail make every effort to delivery on schedule, we cannot guarantee this as it is beyond our control. Highlands and Islands (including Channel Islands) are not guaranteed next day delivery. Delivery is free on all cash orders £500 or more (£4.99 for orders between £100 and £499.99). The minimum order for home delivery is £100. The delivery day quoted is dependent on the order day being a working day; if one of those days is a public holiday then additional day(s) will be added accordingly. All home delivery orders are sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery, unless we advise you otherwise, to your billing address, and a signature will be required upon delivery. A valid telephone number is required for home delivery.
^Sainsbury's Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport™ Mastercard® is issued by PrePay Technologies Limited pursuant to license by Mastercard International. PrePay Technologies Limited is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (FRN: 900010) for the issuing of electronic money and payment instruments. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.