Get to know your dog better
Peace of mind for dog owners
Overexcited dogs can sometimes cause accidents. If they injure someone, or cause damage to someone’s property, our third party liability cover can help. We’ll pay towards legal fees and compensation costs. Our cover will also help pay for the damage.
If you pick a Sainsbury’s Bank Pet Insurance policy for your dog, you’ll get third party liability cover as standard, subject to eligibility.
- We offer a discount for every pet on one of our multi-pet policies†
- We’ll double your Nectar points on Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel**
- We give additional discounts for Nectar members*
What you’re covered for
If your dog accidently injures somebody, or causes damage to someone else’s property, costs can quickly add up. Especially if lawyers get involved. Our third party liability cover is here to give you peace of mind that you’ve got financial protection in place.
Third party liability cover for dogs
|Time limited £3,000||Lifetime £2,500||Lifetime £5,000||Lifetime £7,500|
|£2 million||£2 million||£2 million||£2 million|
|The first £100 of any compensation or cost for damaged property is not covered|
How does third party liability work?
Let us know as soon as something happens that might lead to an accidental damage or injury claim – even if you’re unsure. We can then give you all the help you need to make sure things are handled properly.
You must not admit your dog is to blame or offer to pay for anything before we’ve investigated. We’ll advise you on the right way forward when you contact us.
If someone accuses your dog of causing any damage or injury, tell us straight away and we’ll advise you accordingly.
Our third party cover is there when you need it. But we’re also here to give you all the support you need to deal with these stressful situations.
What we won’t cover
Our third party liability insurance only applies if you’re not covered by another household or liability insurance policy, or if that cover has been used up. Dogs that have a history of vicious or aggressive behaviour towards humans or other animals may not be covered.
Check the policy to find out which breeds are covered.
To check what policy should be used, we’ll ask for details of your other insurance policies. If you need to go ahead and make a claim, we’ll speak to the other insurers and agree who is going to settle it.
Whatever liability insurance you have, there are some things our third party liability won’t cover. We won’t pay compensation or legal costs if the injured person or the owner of the damaged property is:
- A family member or someone who lives in your house
- One of your employees
- Someone you asked to look after your dog
We won’t pay claims for accidents and injuries that happen:
- At your place of work, or where any of your family members work
- If an incident occurs when seeing clients if you’re working from home
- As a result of your job, or any other family member’s job if your dog is kept on licensed premises
- Outside the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
Your policy documents will explain the cover in full.
How to make a claim
Give us a call on 0344 543 1032 as soon as you know about any accidental damage or injury your dog might have caused.
Our claims team will give you advice on how to handle the situation and send you a claim form.
You’ll need to return the claim form along with:
- A full description of exactly what happened
- Any letters and legal documents you’ve received
If you receive any legal letters or documents after returning your claim form, send them on to us along with your policy number. If you’ve got a claim number, include that as well.
Helpful hints and tips for dog owners
Find out all you need to know about choosing a dog – and how to keep them happy and healthy.
Can we help?
If you’ve got any questions, try our FAQs for answers. They’ve got information on the most common topics our customers ask about.Browse our FAQs
Only if you’re holidaying in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. If you’re anywhere else, our third party liability insurance won’t cover any claims.
No – give us a call and let us take care of it. We know it can be worrying if a letter like this arrives, especially if you know nothing about the incident. Tell us about it and we can advise you on what to do. If needed, we’ll step in on your behalf and make sure we get things sorted out properly.
So long as the legal costs and compensation are not due to the person you’ve asked to look after your pet, our cover can help.
Ready to protect your dog?
If you’d like to get a quote for your pet insurance, you can get started right away. If you’re ready, we’re ready.Find out more
Need to talk to us?
Give us a call on 0344 543 1032 and we’ll do everything we can to help.
We’re here Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles and may be monitored and recorded.
*Guaranteed discount for Nectar card holders: The discount is based on information related to you and the transactions you've made with Sainsbury's supermarkets and Sainsbury's Bank using your Nectar card. For more information go to sainsburysbank.co.uk/nectar.
**Double Nectar points.
- Only available to customers buying a new Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance policy.
- You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase.
- Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us.
- Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums.
- Each Nectar account can only collect points from one pet insurance policy.
- It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service.
- By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points.
- Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available.
- We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
†Multi-pet discount is a minimum of £24 when insuring more than one pet as this is worked out at £1 per pet per month for each pet on a policy, up to a maximum of six pets. Pets can have different cover levels. Discount deducted separately from any other offer.
Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register no. 184514). Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc.
Sainsbury's Bank plc acts as an introducer to Pinnacle Insurance plc who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register number 110866). Registered Office: Pinnacle House, A1 Barnet Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2XX. Sainsbury’s Bank plc and Pinnacle Insurance plc are not part of the same corporate group.