What is Critical Illness Cover?
Critical Illness Cover is an optional extra that you can choose at outset when taking out Life Insurance or Decreasing Life Insurance. This cover is provided by Legal & General to help protect you in the event that you are diagnosed with a specified critical illness during the length of your policy. Children’s Critical Illness Cover is included at no extra charge from 30 days old to their 18th birthday, or 21st birthday if they’re in full-time education (terms and conditions apply). If a valid claim is made, you’ll be paid a cash sum which could be used to help you and your family throughout your treatment and recovery.
Why should I add Critical Illness Cover?
- You’ll be covered for the conditions outlined in our Guide to Critical Illness Cover
- Cover for your children – find out more in the policy summary
- You could use a pay-out to take time off work, get private treatment, pay your mortgage, modify your home and more
- If you need to make a claim on your policy, you’ll speak to a Samaritans-trained claims officer at Legal & General’s UK call centre and be assigned a designated member of the team to deal with your claim
- If you’re admitted to hospital with a physical injury immediately following an accident and stay for at least 28 days, your policy will pay out £5000 (conditions apply)
Before you apply
You should know that life insurance isn’t a savings or investment product and has no cash value unless a valid claim is made. It's your responsibility to make sure your policy is right for you, so if you need any advice then you should get in touch with a financial advisor. Please read the Policy Summary before you apply.Get a quote
A complete list of the critical illnesses our plan covers is below. We’ve used medical terms to describe the conditions and in some cases your insurance will be limited. For example, some types of cancer aren’t covered and to make a claim for some illnesses, you need to have permanent symptoms.
You’ll be covered if your condition results in permanent symptoms or certain types of surgery. For the exact criteria your condition needs to meet for you to make a claim, please read our Guide to Critical Illness Cover.
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Aorta graft surgery
- Aplastic anaemia
- Bacterial meningitis
- Benign brain tumour
- Cancer (excluding less advanced cases)
- Cardiac arrest
- Coronary artery by-pass grafts
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
- Heart attack (of specified severity)
- Heart valve replacement or repair
- HIV (caused by blood transfusion, physical assault or accident at work)
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Loss of hand or foot
- Loss of speech
- Major organ transplant (from another donor)
- Motor neurone disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Multiple system atrophy
- Open heart surgery
- Paralysis of a limb
- Parkinson’s disease
- Primary pulmonary hypertension (of specified severity)
- Progressive supranuclear palsy
- Removal of an eyeball
- Respiratory failure
- Spinal stroke
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Third degree burns (covering 20% of the surface area of the body or 20% of the face or head)
- Total permanent disability (please see the guide to critical illness to see what’s covered)
- Traumatic brain injury
Our Critical Illness Cover also includes additional cover for carcinoma in situ of the breast and low grade prostate cancer. If a valid claim is made for these conditions you'll be paid 25% of your amount of cover up to a maximum of £25,000. This payment is separate from your main plan and won’t affect your chosen cover or the premiums you pay. For more information, please read the Policy Summary.
Terminal illness cover is included in all of our life insurance policies that last more than two years at no extra charge. It’s designed to cover you if you are diagnosed as terminally ill during the term of your policy and in the opinion of your hospital consultant and our Medical Officer, the terminal illness is expected to lead to death within 12 months. No terminal illness claim can be made after the death of the person insured.
You can choose exactly how much you’re covered for and the length of your life insurance policy. Unsure about how much cover you need? Get a clearer idea by using our life insurance calculator.
- Your level of cover will depend on your individual circumstances and the premium you choose to pay
- This isn’t a savings or investment product and has no cash value unless a valid claim is made
- If you stop paying premiums before the end of your plan, your cover will end 30 days after your missed payment
- The policy won’t pay out in some circumstances eg if you don’t truthfully give us all the information we ask for
- Critical Illness Cover only covers the specified illnesses that meet our definition, for example it does not cover all form of cancer
Please read the Policy Summary for more information.
Life Insurance with Critical Illness Cover is provided by Legal & General Assurance Society Limited, Registered Office: One Coleman Street, London, EC2R 5AA (registered in England and Wales no. 166055). Legal & General Assurance Society Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Register no. 184514). Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc.
It's your responsibility to make sure the policy meets your needs. If you require advice please contact a financial advisor.
Offer Terms and Conditions
† The £70 worth of Nectar Points offer is an introductory offer available to customers who purchase direct from Sainsbury’s Bank’s website or by phone a new Sainsbury’s Bank Life Insurance plan, Decreasing Life Insurance plan (with or without Critical Illness) or Over 50s life insurance plan from 16th February 2017. 14,000 Nectar points, the equivalent of £70, will be credited to your Nectar account after you have paid five months’ premiums, as long as your plan is still in force and no premiums are outstanding. Your points will appear in your Nectar account within 60 days after you have paid five months’ premiums.
One set of Nectar points per plan sold, limited to two per household in a 12 month period. Legal & General reserves the right to cancel any plans should they suspect fraud or misconduct. Sainsbury’s Bank reserves the right to withdraw or amend this offer at any time, without notice. No cash alternative available.
You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply. The Nectar Collector Rules detail how to collect and use points. You can find these in the Nectar registration pack and at nectar.com.
‡ Double Nectar Points – 1) Offer available to customers buying a new Sainsbury’s Bank Life Insurance, Decreasing Life Insurance (with or without Critical Illness) or Over 50s Life Insurance policy. 2) You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply, and use this card with each Sainsbury’s purchase. 3) Double points begin on your policy’s cover start date. If you tell us your Nectar card number after your cover start date, double points begin on the date you tell us. 4) Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums. 5) Each Nectar account can only collect points from one life insurance policy. 6) It's only the base points you collect at Sainsbury's that are doubled. If you're taking part in the new Nectar trial, it's the points you get on new Nectar that are doubled. Bonus points won't be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury's Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury's Energy or any other Sainsbury's service. 7) By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points. 8) Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. 9) No cash alternative is available. Sainsbury’s Bank reserves the right to alter, cancel or withdraw this offer without notice.