Loss and theft of important documents abroad

Losing important documents such as your passport or your driving licence aboard could be incredibly stressful. However, there are steps you can take to prevent any loss or theft, as well as way of making sure you get replacement documents as soon as possible if they are lost.

Before you leave the UK

Before setting off on your trip, consider the following precautions:

  • Visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website for an up to date look at the destination you’re about to visit. The FCO offer a country by country guide featuring details on the social and political situation in the area, as well as information on theft hotspots and the types of crime that may be prevalent in the country.
  • Consider making a copy of the personal details page of your passport and take note of your passport number. This will help the UK Passport Service issue you with a new one as quickly as possible should it be lost or stolen. Make sure you keep the copy separate from other important items.
  • You might want to store scans or photocopies of your passport, driving licence, insurance and any other important documents in a password protected online account. If you lose the originals, you can pop into any internet café and print off copies, should you need to present them to the authorities in order to get replacements.
  • You might want to consider taking out a travel insurance policy before you leave. Some policies will cover the cost of obtaining replacement passports, driving licence and travel documents in the event of loss or theft.

Whilst abroad

  • It could be worth carrying a combination of currency and cards and/or travellers’ cheques in a money belt or hidden body wallets for added security and to distribute the risk.
  • Make sure important documents and valuables are kept in a safety deposit box rather than left in your room. If you don’t take reasonable care to keep important items locked away securely, you won’t be able to claim any loss or theft on your insurance.
  • Try to be aware of your surroundings when wandering around unfamiliar cities. Comprehensive guidebooks and the FCO website can be a good place to find advice on areas to avoid or where you should take extra precaution.

What if important items are lost or stolen?

In the event of your important documents being lost or stolen, there are several important steps you should take as soon as possible:

  • Inform the police within 24 hours of the loss/theft, or as soon as possible after, and get a written report and reference number.
  • Contact the nearest British Consulate, Embassy or High Commission, also within 24 hours or as soon as possible after that. Details of your nearest consulate can be found in the worldwide organisations section of the UK government’s website. They will be able to help you report the loss to the Her Majesty's Passport Office and provide you with replacement travel documentation.
  • If any credit or debit cards were lost or stolen, contact your card issuer (most major card issuers have international telephone numbers they can be reached on from overseas) and cancel the missing cards.

Making a travel insurance claim

You may be able to claim back the cost of a replacement passport, driving licence and other travel documents. Keep your police report and reference number safe as these will need to be submitted to your insurer in order to make a claim. Again, make sure you’re fully aware of the terms and conditions found in your policy booklet before travelling.

This guide aims to be informative and engaging. Though it may include tips and information, it does not constitute advice and should not be used as a basis for any financial decisions. Sainsbury's Bank accepts no responsibility for the opinions and views of external contributors and the content of external websites included within this guide. All information correct at date of publication [03/05/2018].

Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE) a German insurance company. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ, company number SE000083. Authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority: register number 769884. Details about the extent of GLISE’s authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from the insurer on request.

Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 1st Floor Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 2JY.