Peace of mind for when things don’t go to plan
Missed a flight? We’ve got your back
Missing a flight can leave you feeling frustrated. And if you have to shell out for a replacement, that only adds to your worries. But with missed departure cover from Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance, you could get extra protection if your flight leaves you behind.
You’ll also get:
- Up to 20% off if you’re a Nectar member*
- Double Nectar points on your Sainsbury’s shopping and fuel if you buy an annual-multi-trip policy**
- Access to a 24-hour helpline in case of medical emergencies while you’re away
How does travel insurance with missed departure work?
If you miss your flight, there are certain circumstances where we’ll cover the cost of extra flight and accommodation expenses. When you book a replacement flight or accommodation, you’ll need to pay for it initially then claim back the cost later. So, before you head off on your travels, double check you’ve got enough money in the bank for any unexpected costs.
Like all travel insurance policies, the amount you can claim back for your missed flight will depend on the type of cover you select.
If you miss your flight at your last departure point from the UK, or on your return to the UK, your costs will be covered up to the limits set out below and in your certificate of insurance.
(maximum sum insured)
(maximum sum insured)
|Missed departure with Single Trip or Annual Multi-trip policy||£300||£1,000||£1,250|
|Missed departure with Extended Stay policy||n/a||£250||£500|
Terms, conditions, excesses, exclusions and limitations apply. You can find out more about the terms of our cover in our policy documents.Get a quote
This cover will only be provided if you miss your flight as a result of:
- Public transport failing to get you to your departure point due to:
- Industrial action
- Adverse weather conditions
- Mechanical failure
- Direct involvement in an accident
- The private vehicle you’re travelling in being involved in an accident or breaking down
- A significant delay involving your vehicle because of unexpected and unforeseen heavy traffic or road closures
When it comes to making a claim on your travel insurance, you’ll need to provide supporting evidence. For example, the delays were so severe that they were reported on a news bulletin or by the Highways Agency or motoring association.
What we won’t cover
While we want to protect you as much as possible, there’s no insurance policy that can cover everything.
Read the full terms and conditions of your policy document as there are some exclusions.
For example, we can’t cover the cost of extra travel and accommodation expenses:
- For any trips within the UK (except to the Channel Islands)
- If the strike, industrial action, delays or weather disruption starts or is publicly declared on or before:
- The date your policy is issued
- Or the date you booked your trip (whatever’s later)
- If you don’t allow enough time for the public transport to arrive on schedule and get you to your departure point on time
- When the failure of the vehicle you’re travelling in is due to it not having been properly serviced and maintained
Missed a connecting flight?
If you miss a connecting flight because your first flight was delayed, your airline may be able to organise a replacement. And you could be entitled to missed connection compensation from the airline.
If you’re not eligible for replacement flights or missed connection compensation from your airline, we could help cover the cost. But remember that missed departure cover can only be provided if you miss your flight as a result of the circumstances mentioned above.
Don’t get left out of pocket if your flight leaves you behind. With our travel insurance, you can enjoy your trip knowing that you’ve got missed departure cover in place - just in case something goes wrong.Get a quote
Helpful travel guides
Check out our most frequently asked questions about travel insurance. If you still need to talk to us, our friendly team will be happy to help.
Call 0345 305 2621.
Sales and service lines are open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Closed weekend and Bank Holidays. Calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.
* Up to 20% discount applies when you tell us your Nectar card number. Discount does not apply to premiums for pre-existing medical conditions or enhanced gadget cover. You won't be eligible if you buy through a price comparison website. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
† Double Nectar points
1. Only available to customers buying a Sainsbury's Bank Annual Travel Insurance policy
2. You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase
3. Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us
4. Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums
5. Each Nectar account can only collect points from one travel insurance policy
6. It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service
7. By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points
8. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available
9. We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE) a German insurance company. UK Branch office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ, company number SE000083. Authorised by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority: register number 769884. Details about the extent of GLISE’s authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available from the insurer on request.
Sainsbury’s Bank Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Hood Travel Limited, registered at Companies House 08318836. Hood Travel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 597211. Hood Travel Limited’s registered address is at 1st Floor Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, SS1 2JY. Hood travel is an insurance intermediary providing a non-advised service. We act for and on behalf of the insurer.