There are a couple of ways to bring down the cost of your car insurance, and one of the most effective is building a no claims discount. When you don’t claim, your insurer doesn’t have to pay out, so they pass some of the savings they’ve made on your policy on to you in the form of a discount on the next year’s premium.What is a no claims discount?
A No Claims Discount (NCD), also known as a no claims bonus or no claim discount, is a reward for not claiming on your insurance. If you go a year without claiming – and without having any claims made against you – you can get money off your cover when you renew. And the more years you're claim free, the better the discount.How to save
When you join us, we’ll ask you for proof of your NCD from your last insurer. They just need to confirm how many years you’ve been claim free. We’ll give you a discount when you purchase your insurance, but if the evidence we receive doesn’t match what you told us, we may have to adjust your premium.
Just joining us? Show us your NCD proof
Find out what to send and where to send it.
See what proof we need.What happens if you claim?
It depends what you claim for. For example, if you claim for damage or loss, you’ll lose or reduce your NCD unless you’ve protected it (more on that later).
It also depends how many years of discount you’ve built up. Here’s a rundown of how it works:
|NCD when you start your policy
||NCD at the next renewal if you make 1 claim||NCD at the next renewal if you make 2 claims||NCD at the next renewal if you make 3 claims|
You won't lose your discount if you claim for:
- Something that wasn't your fault – as long as we can claim the money back from the other person's insurer
- Damage to your windscreen
- Emergency medical treatment
- When damage is caused by vandalism and you have a valid crime reference number
- Replacement keys and locks (comprehensive only)
- Damage caused by an uninsured driver (comprehensive only).
You can only use your car insurance NCD on one policy at a time, and you can't transfer it to another person.
Even if we increase your discount when you renew, the cost of your cover could still go up. That's because we take a lot of different things into account when we work out your price.After a bit more detail?
Check our policy documents for more – and we've put together some information on NCDs in our guides section.Not your policy?
If you're a named driver on someone else's policy, we've got you covered too.Protect your discount
If you've been claim free for four years or more, you can add our NCD protection to keep your discount safe when you make a claim.
Get more mileage from your policy
For fuss free motoring, we've put together some extras you can add, for an additional cost, to make your policy work harder for you -
- Guaranteed Courtesy Car – if a small hatchback doesn't cut it, upgrade to a car a similar size as yours
- Motor Legal Protection – cover your expenses if you have to go to court
- Key Cover – get replacement locks and keys, and other transport if you're locked out
- RAC Breakdown Cover – choose from a range of cover to help when you're stuck at the side of the road