What is trace and access cover?
If you have a water leak in your home, you’ll want to find the source immediately. And, while alarm bells might start ringing, don’t panic.
Trace and access insurance covers the cost of finding the source and fixing any damage made in the process. If you notice water leaking in your home, it might be a problem with the pipework behind the walls or floor and you should act quickly.
Locating a leak in your home - from pipes, meter lines or central heating - is called trace and access. It's an important part of your home insurance, and without it, you could be left with a large bill. As well as the cost of putting right any damage.
With our buildings insurance policy, trace and access insurance is included as standard. So, you can find the problem and deal with the damage sooner rather than later.
The trace and access costs are covered when you find:
- Escape of water from any domestic appliance or fixed domestic water installation - or freezing of water in fixed domestic water or heating systems
- Escape of oil from any fixed domestic oil installation
Our trace and access cover will pay up to £10,000 for any single event. This includes removing and replacing any part of the building necessary to find and correct the source of the leak. For example:
- Finding the source of leaks from tanks, pipes, appliances and heating systems
- Removing and replacing any part of your home or fittings in the process
- Repairing any burst pipes
Just keep in mind that cover limits, exclusions and excesses apply. To find out more about what’s covered – and what’s not – take a look at our policy document and home insurance guide.