Trace and access cover

If you notice water leaking in your home, it might be a problem with the pipework behind the scenes. Thankfully, our buildings insurance includes trace and access insurance as standard, so you can find the problem and deal with the damage sooner rather than later.

What is trace and access cover?

Locating a leak in your home is called trace and access. It's an important part of your home insurance. Without it, you could be left with a large bill for finding the source of the leak, as well as the cost of putting right any damage.

What we cover

Our trace and access includes cover up to £10,000 for any single event such as:

  • Finding the source of leaks from tanks, pipes, appliances and heating systems
  • Removing and replacing any part of your home in the process
  • Repairing any burst pipes
  • Accidental damage to any cables, pipes, underground drain pipes or tanks that bring services to and from your home.

The most common sources of leaks are:

  • Toilets
  • Taps and tap washers
  • Radiators
  • Corroded pipes
  • Meter lines.

What's not covered

It doesn't include the cost of repairing tanks, appliances or heating systems – unless they're already covered somewhere else in your policy.

After a bit more detail?

Check our policy document. And to find out what home insurance usually covers, take a look at our guide.

Want it completely watertight?

You could add extra Contents Accidental Damage Cover to your policy, for an additional cost, to plug the gaps and cover things your leak might damage.

Furnish your cover with our optional extras

Now you've laid the foundations with our standard cover, for an extra cost you can build on it with our optional extras to give you, your family, and your treasured possessions even more protection.