Frequently asked questions

These answers apply to policy number beginning with SBY or NHP. For new policies and all other policy numbers, please refer to the FAQs here.

If your policy number begins with NHP or SBY, your Sainsbury's home insurance policy is administered by Halifax General Insurance Services Limited, Registered in England and Wales No: 2791889, Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG and underwritten by St Andrew's Insurance plc, Registered in England and Wales No: 3104671, Registered Office: 33 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1HZ. Halifax General Insurance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Sainsbury's Bank plc and St Andrews Insurance plc are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

Buildings means the structure of your property, fixtures and fittings, patios, terraces, footpaths, swimming pools, tennis courts, drives, walls, roofs, fences, hedges and gates.

Contents means items you would probably take with you if you move home, including curtains, furniture, digitally downloaded content, electrical appliances, valuables, clothing and personal effects.

Your contents cover provides up to £500 for items usually kept outside, such as barbeques or garden furniture.

Trace and access cover - to find the source of damage caused by water and oil - isn’t available under your policy.

Yes, if you have contents insurance this includes up to £500 cover per bicycle while it’s in your home. For cover away from the home, bicycle cover is included under Personal Belongings, up to £500 per bicycle.

Yes, up to £5,000 cover for office equipment in the home is included. There’s a limit of £1,500 for any single item.

If you added Personal Belongings to your policy they’re covered, up to the limit shown in your schedule, against theft, loss or accidental damage while away from your home but within the British Isles. If you go abroad, they’re covered for a maximum of 60 days in any 12 month period. There’s a limit of £1,500 for any single item. Refer to your policy schedule for details of other limits.

It covers accidental damage caused by you, or your family, to your buildings or contents, such as paint spillages or damage caused by pets.

If your policy number starts with SBY and you extended your policy to cover your, or a family member's, contents while at university, you’ll have up to £5,000 cover for loss or damage. There is a limit of £1,500 for any single item. You must also tell us that these family members are students. This cover isn’t available if your policy number starts with NHP.

For policies which renew on or after 25th October 2019:

Yes, just call us on 0345 850 5500 for a quote

Home Emergency cover is underwritten by AWP P&C SA and is administered in the UK by Allianz Global Assistance. Allianz Global Assistance is a trading name of AWP Assistance UK Ltd,102 George Street, Croydon CR9 6HD. AWP P&C SA is authorised by L’Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution in France and the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Details about the extent of our authorisation and regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority, and regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority, are available from us on request

Legal Expenses covers things such as bodily injury, employment disputes, contract disputes and property disputes up to £50,000. You can add this to your policy at any time, for an additional premium. Call us on 0345 850 5500 for a quote.

Our Legal Expenses cover is underwritten by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited, registered in England and Wales number 00103274, authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority as an insurance company and to undertake insurance mediation under Financial Services registration number 202106.

If you have at least five years’ no claims discount you can protect this for an additional premium. With protected NCD you can make one buildings and one contents claim in any policy year without losing any no claims discount.

We don’t make any charges if you decide to pay monthly, amend your policy or cancel your policy mid-term.

Call us on 0345 850 5500 to arrange cover for your new home.

If you renovate or extend your house you need to make sure that you still have enough cover. Call us on 0345 850 5500 to discuss your cover level before you start work on your property.

We’ll send you a renewal notice before your policy expires. This will contain information about your premium and your cover. Check that’ it’s correct and let us know if you want to make any changes.

If you pay by Direct Debit we’ll continue to collect your renewal payment in this way, unless you tell us not to. If you pay by card or by cheque, you’ll need to call us to make a payment at renewal. Our number is 0345 850 5500.

Call 0345 850 5500. We’ll refund any unused premium, provided no claim has been registered during the policy term.

     To make a claim: 0345 850 5500. We're open Monday to Friday 8am-6pm and 9am-1pm on Saturdays
     24 hour home emergency helpline: 0345 603 2252
     24 hour Eurolaw legal helpline: 0345 603 2257

Storm conditions are defined in your policy wording, as winds of at least 55mph and / or 15mm of rainfall in any morning or afternoon period.

Flood Re is a scheme developed by the insurance industry and the Government to help insurers make flood cover as widely available as possible. With Flood Re, Sainsbury's Bank Home Insurance customers still purchase their policy in the normal way, and any claims will continue to be handled by us. For further information about how Flood Re works please visit