You can either redeem your funds and load a new Card or cash out the balance and close your Card.
If your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport is lost, stolen or damaged, contact Card Services immediately, so they can cancel the Card. Your Card is chip and PIN protected and if you have an Additional Card, you can still access your funds with the Additional Card. If you only have one Card, or both your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passports are lost or stolen, Card Services can offer further assistance, including a Replacement Card or emergency cash up to the available balance on your Card (subject to availability in the relevant location).
Card Services contact details.
This should only happen when you don’t have enough funds on the Card to cover the cost of a purchase (although you can always use what money you do have on your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport to make a partial payment and settle the balance with another card or cash, if the merchant supports it).
Please be aware that some merchants such as restaurants and car hire companies may require the Card to have an available balance greater than the purchase amount, before they will authorise the payment.
In some countries, there may be daily or weekly withdrawal limits set by ATM operators, which may be lower than the limit on your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport.
Check that the retailer you are purchasing from accepts MasterCard Prepaid. Because of new EU requirements, merchants in the EU/EEA will be able to choose whether or not they wish to accept MasterCard prepaid/debit/credit or commercial cards. Please check with the merchant, as they have to inform you if they decide not to accept all types of MasterCard cards. Merchants will also be expected to display this information prominently at the entrance of the shop and at the till or, in the case of distance sales, this information should be displayed on the merchant’s website or other applicable electronic or mobile medium.
If you have a problem using your Card, here are the things you should check first.
1. If you got your Card delivered at home you need to activate your Card before it will work. Your Card will have a sticker with instructions about how to do this.
2. Check you have enough money on the Card for the purchase you wish to make.
3. Check you are using the correct PIN. Phone Card Services to get a reminder or PIN Reveal via My Account.
4. Check that the retailer you are purchasing from accepts MasterCard Prepaid. Because of new EU requirements, merchants in the EU/EEA will be able to choose whether or not they wish to accept MasterCard prepaid/debit/credit or commercial cards. Please check with the merchant, as they have to inform you if they decide not to accept all types of MasterCard cards. Merchants will also be expected to display this information prominently at the entrance of the shop and at the till or, in the case of distance sales, this information should be displayed on the merchant’s website or other applicable electronic or mobile medium.
5. Your Card has maximum limits on how much you can withdraw or spend, for example a maximum daily amount that you can spend in a shop. These limits are shown in the fees and limits table. In addition, some cash machines may have their own limits.
Please note: if a cash machine screen prompts you to choose ‘which account?’ it is recommended that you choose the ‘Credit’ option.
You can only withdraw cash from a cash machine up to the available balance on your Sainsbury's Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport (including any applicable fees) and if the amount is within the cash machine’s issuing limit.
If your Card is still valid, but you’re not planning to travel again soon, you can withdraw your remaining balance from an ATM displaying the MasterCard® Acceptance Mark (assuming it is within the ATM's withdrawal limits).
Or, if applicable, you may take your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport (and valid photo ID) back to the bureau where you bought it and they will refund your remaining balance, less any fees. Payment will be in GBP and the exchange rate (if applicable) will be applied by the bureau. Please note: not all bureaux may offer this service.
Alternatively, you can contact Card Services, and have your balance (less any fees and subject to exchange rates, if applicable) refunded to a UK bank or building society account in the name of the primary cardholder only. Please see your terms and conditions for more information. You may be given the option to donate (some or all) left-over funds to charity.
For peace of mind on your holiday, you can get an Additional Card at the time of purchase of your initial Card and use it as a backup.
Please see the Terms and Conditions for more information.
Please note that Additional Cards must not be given to anyone else to use.
Full details on how to contact the 24/7 Card Services team.
Sainsbury’s Bank are committed to providing you with the best possible customer experience. Telling the Card Services team when you are unhappy with any aspect of your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport is important, as it means things may be put right there and then the service offered can be improved in the future.
The next section tells you how and where to make a complaint and what will be done to resolve it promptly and fairly.
In the first instance please contact our Card Services Team by telephone, via the number(s) provided in the User Guide supplied with the Card. This team will try to resolve your concerns over the phone in a timely manner. Alternatively, you can e-mail your complaint to Prepaidmgmt_Globalcomplaints@mastercard.com or put it in writing to the following address:
The Service Quality team is happy to receive and respond to complaints in other languages and will arrange for a translation service to assist where available. Where possible, information on the complaints process will be made available in other languages.
To help your issues to be resolved as quickly as possible when you contact Card Services, please provide them with as much relevant information as possible, including:
- Your Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport number (please note, do not include your full 16-digit Card number in emails and/or letters, for security reasons. In written correspondence, the Card number should always be supplied by providing the first six and last four digits only, as follows 123456******7890.)
- Your name
- Your address
- Your contact telephone number
- Clear details of your complaint
- What you would like to be done to resolve matter.
When we receive a complaint we aim to resolve your issues as fairly and as quickly as we can. Where possible we will endeavour to resolve your issues as soon as you contact us. If we need more time to investigate your complaint, we will send you an acknowledgement letter and we will keep you updated on our progress throughout our investigation.
If you are not satisfied with our final response or if 8 weeks has passed since you first let us know about your complaint, you can refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service which provides an independent review service for unresolved complaints that is free to customers.
They can be contacted in the following ways:
- Write: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR
- Telephone: 0800 023 4 567 / 0300 123 9 123 or +442079640500 (from outside the UK)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk
The European Commission has established an Online Dispute Resolution Platform (ODR Platform). It is specifically designed to help consumers resident in the European Union (EU) who have a complaint about goods or services bought online from traders established in the EU. You can submit your complaint online through the ODR platform in any of the official languages of the EU. The ODR platform can then submit your complaint to the UK Financial Ombudsman Service to facilitate resolution of your complaint.
You can access the ODR platform by clicking on the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/
You may use the ODR service if you are an EU resident and have a complaint about a product or service purchased from us online. As the ODR platform will ultimately re-direct your complaint to the UK Financial Ombudsman Service, you may prefer to contact us or the Financial Ombudsman Service directly in the first instance.
Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. Sainsbury’s Bank Multi-currency Cash Passport TM is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Limited. Registered Office: 3rd Floor, Grainger Chambers, 3-5 Hood Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6JQ. Registered in England No. 07875693. Authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority to issue e-money (Firm Reference Number: 900051).