Managing your credit card online is easy
- Get paperless statements
- Check your balance
- Update your details
View our guide Your Credit Card statement explained (PDF, 138kb)
Understanding your account summary
Your account summary is in the right hand corner on page 1 of your credit card statement.
- Your 'Previous balance' is the closing balance from your last statement
- 'Payments and credits received' is the sum of any credits added to your account within the statement period. This includes payments you’ve made to your account and any refunds received
- 'New transactions & interest' is the sum of any new purchases, cash withdrawals, interest or balance transfers from other providers
- If you have a Direct Debit set up, the details of this will be shown under ‘Payment information’. The 'Direct Debit amount' will show the amount that’ll be collected on your payment due date
Understanding your fees and charges
The ‘Summary box’ on page 2 of your credit card statement contains information on any Fees, Charges or Default Charges you could be charged. This excludes interest.
Understanding your credit card transactions
‘Your credit card transactions’ on page 3 details all the transactions made on your card since your last statement. This includes payments and credits received as well as new purchases, transfers and interest.
If you’re registered for online banking then you can request a balance transfer by:
2. Land on 'My Accounts'
3. Select Account Details' for your credit card account
4. Then select 'Request a balance transfer' from the list of links on the right hand side of the screen or at the bottom of the page if you’re using a mobile phone.
Subject to available credit you can:
• Request a balance transfer of up to 95% of your available credit
• Request a balance transfer of a minimum of £100
Alternatively you can contact us to request a balance transfer.
If you requested your balance transfer when you applied for your credit card, you need to activate your card before we can complete the transfer. You can activate your card using online banking. Not already registered for online banking? Head to sainsburysbank.co.uk/register. Once you’ve registered your card will automatically activate.
There are a few places that we can’t accept balance transfers from. This includes some credit and store cards, Sainsbury’s Bank credit cards, loan companies and bank accounts. All transfers are subject to our approval and we may need to call you for more information before proceeding.
Once approved, your balance transfer(s) should be received by the next working day, although it may take longer if we need to do further validation checks. Please continue to make payments to your existing card issuer(s) if required.
You can call us on 08085 40 50 60* to request a money transfer. We're here Monday to Friday from 8am-midnight and on weekends from 8am-6pm.
You’ll need your Sainsbury's Bank credit card number before you can request to transfer a balance to your current account. Both accounts need to be held in the name of the primary card holder.
If you requested your money transfer when you applied for your credit card, you need to activate your card before we can complete the transfer. You can activate your card using online banking or you can call 0800 032 4032. Not already registered for online banking? Head to sainsburysbank.co.uk/register. Once you’ve registered your card will automatically activate.
*Telephone calls may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under our quality control procedures. Calls are free from a landline and from a mobile when calling from the UK
- Log in to your online banking
- Your current balance will show here:
Be aware that your balance will exclude pending transactions which can take up to 24 hours to show.
Alternatively, contact us and select Option 2 (Cards), followed by Option 1 – say or key in your 16 digit card number, your date of birth and your expiry date. You can then check your balance.
Moved home or changed your email address? It’s easy to make changes to your account online.
With Online Banking you can:
- Change your login details
- Change some personal details
- Change your marketing contact preferences
- Change your address
Once you’ve logged in, just select what you want to do from the ‘My details’ tab. Once you’ve made your changes you can start to use your new information straight away.
If you’re moving to an address outside the UK, call us on 08085 40 50 60*. We’re open Monday to Friday 8am-midnight and 8am-6pm at weekends.
If you need to change your mobile number, give us a call on 08085 40 50 60*. For security reasons, you can't update this online. It is important that you keep your mobile number up to date as you'll need it to service your account.
You can make a payment from your current account to your credit card. Your bank will need our sort code (12-60-11) and account number (00080028) to set it up for you. Use your Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Card’s 16 digit account number as your reference.
If you’re registered for online banking then you can set up a Direct Debit by:
- Logging into your account. Not already registered? Register here
- Selecting 'My Accounts'
- Selecting 'Account Details'
- And selecting 'Set up a Direct Debit' on the right hand side of the screen.
Alternatively you can contact us and we can set this up for you.
You’ll be able to set up a Direct Debit for the minimum payment, statement balance or fixed amount.
Your Direct Debit can take up to 7 working days to set up.
Until you see your Direct Debit payment date on your statement you should continue to make your credit card payments using another method.
If you've a balance on your account we’ll collect your chosen monthly payment by Direct Debit every month, even if you make additional payments or a credit/refund is applied to your account. If you’ve chosen to pay a fixed amount and the payment would put your account into credit then we’ll only take the amount required to clear the balance.
When setting up a Direct Debit you can choose to pay:
The minimum payment – this is the lowest amount you need to repay each month. It’ll change every month depending on your card balance but you’ll be able to see the exact amount on your monthly credit card statement. If you choose to pay the minimum amount each month it will take you longer to clear your balance and will cost you more in the long term.
The statement balance – if you choose this option then your Direct Debit will be set up to pay the full outstanding balance on your credit card statement every month.
A Fixed amount – You can also choose to pay a fixed amount towards your credit card balance each month. Just remember that if the fixed amount you pay is lower than the minimum payment due in any month then we’ll take your minimum payment amount instead. If the fixed amount is higher than your balance, we'll only take enough to clear your balance.
- First, log in to your online banking.
- On the ‘My Account’ page click on ‘Make a payment’.
- Enter your debit card details. We only accept Debit Mastercard and VISA Debit.
- You’ll be asked to select the amount you’d like to pay to your card, you can choose either minimum payment, statement balance, total balance or other amount. Please select one of these options and ‘Continue’.
- Your own bank may direct you to complete some additional security.
- Your payment is complete and it can take between 1 and 4 days to be processed.
Call 08085 40 50 60 and select Option 2 (Cards), select Option 1 – say or key in your 16 digit card number, your date of birth and your expiry date. Then select Option 2 (make a payment). You can then make your payment by following the instructions in the telephony automated system.
You can post a cheque and your bank giro credit slip from the bottom of your statement to Sainsbury’s Bank Credit Cards, PO Box 5166, Worthing, BN11 9GY. Please allow extra time for your payment to reach us during Bank Holiday periods and remember there’s a £12 charge if you don’t make at least your minimum monthly payment by the payment due date.
If you make a payment before your statement is produced, it'll count as an additional payment towards your previous statement. If that happens, you’ll need to make another payment after your new statement has been produced to make sure that you meet your minimum payment in each payment cycle.
Log in to online banking and the 'My accounts' summary page gives you an overview of your Sainsbury's Bank credit card account. You can also:
- View latest transactions − click on 'Account details' and then the 'Latest transactions' tab
- Search transactions − click on 'Account details' and then the 'Search transactions' tab. From there you can search your transactions, from the previous six months, by choosing the date range you want to veiw.
Your 'available to spend' balance will update immediately when you make a transaction, however, your list of transactions and 'total balance' could take a few days to update depending on when the payment is processed. You should consider this when using your credit card so you don't exceed your limit.
If you’re registered for online banking then you can request to increase or decrease your credit limit and get an instant decision by:
- Logging into your account.
- Selecting 'My Accounts'
- Selecting 'Account Details'
- And selecting 'Change my credit limit' on the right hand side of the screen.
We won’t consider an increase in your credit limit if you’ve had your card for less than 6 months, or requested a credit limit increase within the previous 6 months. We’ll review your ability to repay before we agree to an increase.
To change your statement date you must be the primary cardholder. Just contact us.
Unfortunately we can't produce statements on a specific date each month but we'll try to produce your statement as close as possible to your selection.
We’re here Monday to Friday 8am-midnight and 8am-6pm at weekends. Telephone calls may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under our quality control procedures. Calls are free from a landline and from a mobile when calling from the UK.
You can change your Direct Debit through our online banking. Not already registered? Register here. Then you can manage your Direct Debit by:
- Logging into your account
- Selecting 'My Accounts'
- Selecting 'Account Details'
- And selecting 'Manage my Direct Debit' on the right hand side of the screen.
You’ll be able to view your current details, change the payment amount and change your bank details.
Alternatively you can contact us to change your Direct Debit details.
Contact our Customer Service team. We’ll post a PIN reminder to you within four working days.
We’re open Monday to Friday 8am-midnight and 8am-6pm at weekends. Telephone calls may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under our quality control procedures. Calls are free from a landline and from a mobile when calling from the UK.